Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change my rear pads in the next couple of thousand miles on AMG 55 R172. Should I stick with OEM or there some better value/performance alternatives? Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I could get dissed for this but the rear brakes don’t do much of the braking so providing the pads are decent it doesn’t really matter. I would also be cautious about disturbing the brake balance.

If you want to upgrade the rears you should do matching material on the front.

Il let other folks share their preferences.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,947 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.. only interested in changing the rear pads at this time. What pads do you recommend that produce less brake dust, offer the same or better performance and that don't wear the discs quicker than OEM?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,947 Posts
My Akebono make no dust!

maybe because i clean the rims every day! :D

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Thanks guys.. only interested in changing the rear pads at this time. What pads do you recommend that produce less brake dust, offer the same or better performance and that don't wear the discs quicker than OEM?
On the R171 SLK55, the oem brakes are Brembo and you can buy them from places like Europarts, but keep an eye out for their occasional 50% off. An option to stick with oem but at reduced cost. Assuming the R172 brakes are Brembo too of course.

Others have had success with different aftermarket brands. My preference is to stick with oem / Brembo. I've sealed my alloys, so don't have an issue with keeping the wheels clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts