Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some SLK's with some kind of spoiler/mud guard on them.
They are located behind the rear tire's.
My car is a 08, And did not come with it.
Can any one tell me what is the purpose of it.

Thanks

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
No probs - don't have many pictures of her that show them very well. I don't know when MB dropped (or what packages, etc..) them, but I do know that a number of the ebay sellers who do the rear AMG style spoilers sell them as well.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
In the past, they were referred to on the forums as "pig ears". Much debate ensued. I think the final conclusion was that they were required to meet some silly regulation about how wide the fenders were relative to the rear tire.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
In the past, they were referred to on the forums as "pig ears". Much debate ensued. I think the final conclusion was that they were required to meet some silly regulation about how wide the fenders were relative to the rear tire.
ROTF - I've seen a couple of "de-pig-eared" sig lines, and had no clue what they were talking about!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
IIRC, cyberdrakon called them pig ears. He took the ones off his 55 and sent it someone who wanted the pair. The one I have did not come with the "pig ears", or I would've removed them also.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My understanding is that for safety (?) reason, the wider part of a car can not be tyre or rim. It should be car body. Therefore, they add this plastic stuff for that.

D

·
0 Posts
Yep because her larger tire sticks out over the upper lip of the arch as well as the back of the bumper, without that they wouldn't be able to get approval to use the car on public roads over here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I sorta like that, Does it make the tail end look more *wide body?
Can I order that thru the dealer?
Any more pics?

Thank You in advance guys.

D

·
0 Posts
Its only a very small lip mate.

Can't order the upper lip but you can the lower, its called a wide base tire cover or something similar.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Can I order that thru the dealer?
Shure..... If you own a Black Series :dance:

Slk Roadster Club Had it's 10 years anniversary in May, and we celebrated that in Arnstadt Germany.
For the occasion MB Stuttgart took an Asia cup Black Series and rigged it as a street version just for us :bannana:
We kind of expected a "track version" of a car with just the needed equipment to get it street legal,
but the guys in Stuttgart went the whole way and made it a full optioned car, AC, command, carpets .................
Some kind of market director guy came in that car and drove with us (20 SLK's) on the Saturday.
They even put a brand new Face Lift 200K in the dining room of the hotel.

Here are some pics: http://tinyurl.com/5lnbms

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
My 06 SLK 280 (USA) had them, my 09 SLK 350 does not. I think they kept the rear fender side skirts cleaner. Anybody with a pair of arctic white ones who does not want them let me know and I'll take them off your hands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.