Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

During the week on my way to work, I got into my car and noticed it smelled a little raunchy. I do not eat in my car or leave trash in it so it immediately had me worried. But I gave it a day thinking it might just go away. Well, it didn't and got worse.

The first thing that came to mind was that maybe some animal had crawled into the engine compartment and died. So I looked in there but found nothing and the engine compartment smelled normal. I looked around the wheel wells too, nothing. My 21 y.o. sometimes drives my car and I thought maybe he left something inside that was going bad. I looked around and under the seats, no trash or anything.

While investigating the passenger side, I noticed a small wet spot on the floor near the door behind the seat. It appeared to just be water. I felt around the spot and noticed that the entire floor on that side was wet, sopping wet like a sponge. It was wet all the way up to the front of the floor on the engine side. I park the car outside and it has been raining. But the seat has not been wet and there is no water on the door or on the carpet on the walls. It's all on the floor.

I found another post describing a similar issue that was resolved as being a clog in the AC drainage line. The author discovered it when he drove back from the dealer with the AC on and the floor got wet. I live in Seattle and never use the AC, so it doesn't seem to me that the AC could be the problem. Also, this has occurred after a couple of weeks of steady rain with my car parked outside. Is there some other drainage tube that could be plugged that would cause this? If so, does anyone know how to find it and unclog it?

Thanks for you help!!!

L

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,272 Posts
Moving to r170 general discussion

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I can't remember if my R170 was like my current R171, in that the AC is on all the time (a good thing for the AC system!!), and you have to physically turn it off every time you start the engine if you wish it that way.

Are you feeling brave?? - dip a finger in it, and taste it - if it's got a sweetish taste, it could be engine coolant. Check the level in your header tank. It's possible the heater matrix (or one of the associated valves or pipes) has failed.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Lift the hood and look in the corners of the lower windshield, you should see a black plastic mesh piece. That's your drain, behind the fromt tires there should be a black tube/hose. Thats the exit point for the water. Sometimes they get clogged and need to be cleaned with a coat hanger. Forward of the rear tires is the same thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Suggest you do the rear drains around the trunk lid as well. Worthwhile if you can to put a heater in the passenger well to dry it out. It is a common fault !

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would also pull out the carpets and dry it out. There are a few electrical connections down there and the amp for the radio/cd if you have one. You could end up with a few electrical gremlins!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I was able to clean out the drains around the trunk but the ones under the hood were way too clogged. It's possible I could have cleaned with with better access, but there is a metal cover that seemed to be too much of a project to remove. A friend gave me a reference for a mechanic that cleans these for him for not too much cash, so I may try that.

While my car was sitting in my apartment's controlled access garage drying out (top down) some ass stole one of my floor mats and some oil. Clearly it was someone who lives at my place. I really don't understand people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.