Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would try something new today. I changed the stock pedal curve in my car from KLD4 to KLD1 and then drove it to see what's what. Impressive. In fact, I would say it's a bit violent. Much less throttle = much faster application. I was going to change it back but then thought to put it in Comfort Mode. Comfort Mode restored a lot of the softness. It's too early to say what I will keep but....it made a massive difference. The transmission kicks down much more. Much less throttle required.

So, KLD1 appears to be, in effect, a force multiplier, which is what I expected.

Reactions: xopher and Idiot101

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG w/P30
178 Posts
Can you expand a bit on the pedal curves available? I know some tuners adjust throttle by wire cars to have much more throttle action at the beginning of pedal movement. It gives the illusion the motor has more available power. The last bit of pedal travel therefore does very little. However, those of us that track and autocross ours cars want maximum finesse at the beginning of pedal travel. Does anyone know what Eurocharged Performance does to the pedal curve?
Thanks,
Chris
p.s. We must live pretty close as the crow flies. Farther via the ferries!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,773 Posts
However, those of us that track and autocross ours cars want maximum finesse at the beginning of pedal travel. Does anyone know what Eurocharged Performance does to the pedal curve?
Thanks,
Chris
Pedal Commander (among other gizmos) does that--PnP. I think @b82012 has it. Do a search for it here.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can you expand a bit on the pedal curves available? I know some tuners adjust throttle by wire cars to have much more throttle action at the beginning of pedal movement. It gives the illusion the motor has more available power. The last bit of pedal travel therefore does very little. However, those of us that track and autocross ours cars want maximum finesse at the beginning of pedal travel. Does anyone know what Eurocharged Performance does to the pedal curve?
Thanks,
Chris
There are 4 available. The default setting is #4 which is very mild when compared to #1
I have not tried 2 or 3 yet. There's more to it then 'illusion'. You have to keep in mind the car is adaptive. So in order for the car to think it's in 'maniac' mode you really have to be on the throttle hard on KLD4. The travel is so excessive that you really have to mash it and the extra travel is very annoying. It's very easy to be caught in the middle of pedal travel somewhere and have the trans go back to soft mode and go a gear high.

On KLD1 a quarter throttle to half throttle is pretty damn fast. The bottom line is you need much less pedal travel to get the trans to kick down and fly. At that point, the car goes into 'maniac' mode and holds gears when you let off the throttle keeping it in the power band. So it's not quite as simple as the illusion of more power, what it really is, is that the car goes into maniac mode much, much faster. And let's face it, the pedal travel on KLD4 is very long.

What I found is that Comfort Mode is now more important. There's a much clearer distinction between the two. Bottom line, the car falls out of 'maniac' mode a lot less and that's really important to me.

There's a lot more tuning to be done. Recently i860 gave me a hand getting the laptop reliable so I can finally come back to it. I'm doing a translation on implicit coding over here.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG w/P30
178 Posts
Good info, thanks. Does the car hop among the four profiles (KLD1-4) based on the recent history of driving habits? Is that the adaptive part? What about with the transmission in Manual mode? Is there any different behavior than Comfort or Sport modes?

I assume there is no way to tell what KLD mode you are in besides seat-of-the-pants without a Xentry set up. I can see going that route eventually. I definitely would like to learn more about what’s available and how to tailor it to my preferences.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bear in mind, a lot of this is subjective because no-one really knows how Mercedes engineers wrote the code for managing the car. I have never found that the pedal curve changes due to driving habits. The adaptive part appears to be primarily transmission-reated. However, I have found that there is a noticeable change in handling when you are out on the edge. What I found is that there is a noticeable delineation point where the car clearly changes over to actively managing the handling probably with some version of brake steer. The engineering docs on the car seem to indicate that it has some form of brake steer but the information is sketchy at best.

What I found was that just when you thought you were really far out on the edge and about to lose control - it would get back under control and then you had another level to work with. But there are a lot of settings you can change. If I recall correctly you can even adjust the torque transmitted to the rear wheels and such. I'll be going though those settings shortly as I have time and my Xentry is reliable again. But, bottom-lining it, it's much easier to keep the car thinking there is a maniac behind the wheel and that means all the ECU's operate with performance in mind. I haven't checked manual shifting yet but past experience showed that the car should really operate much more like it has a manual valve body when manually shifting. It would be really nice to find settings to accomplish that....

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,961 Posts
I post it a few week ago

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
92 Posts
I post it a few week ago

When you say tuner, what have you had done to your car?

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
92 Posts
Hi
I am running a custom map on my slk 350 stage 1 + pop and bang
Do you mind if I ask where you had it done, cost and BHP now? Thinking about options for mine.

You have intrigued me with the pedal response change and the A mode. I wonder if some tuners are doing these changes rather than a remap to make the car feel much different?
I know the power gains are not very large on NA cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts