Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· *Registered
2004 SLK350 (R171) "Terry"
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any drives/ meets in wales? Love a good drive and a bunch of slk all driving in convoy through wales would be awesome, good scenery and fun roads etc. Everything seems to be England based, so im assuming most members are from England, is there not enough members in wales?

· *Administrator (Premium Member)
44,644 Posts
There are enough in Wales to host meets, but it takes one person to organise a meet/run.

We have had tours (I've run a couple in North Wales) & we have joined larger events in Trelogan and Oswestry.
Those in Southern Wales tend to join the SW meets.

44,644 Posts
The key points are:
Pick somewhere with toilets and food as a gathering point.
Don't expect a large number first time out (many meets start with a handful or less).
Give plenty of warning (last minute meets will always be smaller. Not every member is on daily).
If planning a drive, try and keep routes simple. T junction with a right hand turn is where folks get separated.
Handy to have a couple of gathering points along the way and if lucky, another who knows the route at the rear to gather stragglers.
Personally I find 6 a good number. More than that and you spend a lot time checking mirrors.

If you are doing route print outs then keep them simple. Lone drivers don't want to be trying to read an essay.

I'd suggest starting simple. A meet for coffee and cakes and perhaps a small drive.

· *Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,787 Posts
Think about a meeting point with plenty of parking, a pub is good, especially if it serves breakfast. Ending at the start point always makes for a good turnout as people know where it is. :D
A run out from a start point to a new end point can be heading away from where people came from so that can be a deciding factor on weather to attend or not. Some folk like to meet up and do their own thing, so a breakfast meet suits some. 🍳🥓
Prior to covid we had several meetings etc and some people mentioned they seem to be eating more than driving....but they always returned to the next breakfast meeting. 😀
It's a good idea for you to drive the route you have planned just to see if it works. I do remember one I organised and drove a few weeks earlier but we were foiled by a large chunk of it being resurfaced. S#%t happens.

· *Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of my favourite drives that I do most summers with the other half is jumping on the A470 and just following it up until I decide to turn round, or I’ll drive back in a loop. great roads and scenery. Could possibly shorten my typical drive and do something like that. Usually drive for a good 4 hours before I even start thinking of coming home. But could find a meet point somewhere between rhondda and Swansea for example, introductions, some grub, throw the roofs down and go. Not clue up on many other routes as I stick to that one normally, but know there’s plenty of coastal roads, black mountain pass is another idea. Just an idea, maybe some of us could put our brains together and find a good route that’ll suit the majority.

44,644 Posts
Depending on demographic, past experience suggest planning a break every 90 or so minutes is wise.
Ideally with toilets.

Yep, you know how I know without even asking.

You only need to stop as you may find everyone is happy to continue.

· *Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ll have a look at that, need to get on Google maps and see if I can figure something out. Downfall to rural wales in toilets can be few and far between sometimes, so maybe find another route with more toilets etc I’ll also assume some people might like a coffee part way through the route, and we all know coffee in an SLK, r171 atleast isn’t wise given the poorly positioned cup holders, if you have them that is

44,644 Posts
A470 is very popular.

One of the tricks that I use for rural North Wales is looking through biker sites.

Even searching things like car/bike runs A470 can be productive.
(Only using A470 as an example, I'll never get a clear run at this rate.)

Hmm, if dates fit, regardless of plans, I might use the 470 to either come down, or return up if I attend.

Don't get fixated on there being a large group first time out. Numbers grow with feedback from those that join in.
Folks might travel. eg I am Cheshire but go NE, Essex, Kent and Midlands on occasion.
My mate is Glasgow and he goes same.

What I find, is newb here and meet virgins want something within an hours drive to start point.
Also, some just come for eg brekky and do not join runs.
Flexibility is key. As we say on tours, join for a coffee, a run, or just a chat at one of the meet points.
The more that folks see who/what is going on, the more likely they are to join in come the future dates.

I had 50 members shout for meets near me years back. Held a couple and maximum (excluding tours) was 12.

One of the things that I do is to do a run to other events. For example, a Midlands club hosts a static meet half an hour away at a tourist spot. Food, parking and something other than cars to look at. It gives something for the partners that aren't SLK interested something for themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts