Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
y'all have heard the saying about fools rushing in where angels fear to tread? Guess what... as if more proof were needed I am a fool :frown:

The headers I bought look lovely - however they are not shorties (which although not necessarily as good make fitting (and other bits 'n' bobs) a lot easier. Turns out my bright idea to try and get the primary cats jury rigged up to the long(ish) tubes is a non-starter. Just to make sure that you can all laugh at me my secondary idea was to use secondary cats instead.... except I don't have any
and they're not exactly common-place on fleabay (or indeed cheap).

Luckily I'm able to return said headers without too much of a loss (c.£50). So short-term it's likely to be standard AMG manifolds back on

Now where did I read about an SLK55 rear muffler delete.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
On the other hand...

Takes a big man to cough to a mistake.

May even have saved others trying this route.
I agree wholeheartedly. I have posted a couple of my own mishaps/misadventures on here in hopes of others not making the same errors. Although, most of them have been because of manufacturer misinformation or faulty parts, so that feels a bit better than my own human error :laugh:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok then - I really don't want to start about a dozen threads all about the same thing soooooo I'll try here first!

Due to non-communication from the seller of the headers it looks like I'll be keeping them (not a total disaster in all honesty) but that does mean I'll need to lose the primary cats. No problem with this in principle however it's now what to do with the cats that has me stumped. There're loads of threads relating to this from 2009/10 but at that point it's more "what happens if" stuff - 7 years down the line I would imagine that there are a lot more answers....

For example can a set of secondaries be fitted back in with an O2 sensor behind them or will that throw a code?
Will a set of 200 cell universals fit in (with pre-fitted O2 sensor)?
Will either of these options need an ECU upgrade? I figure the answer to this is that it would be better with an ECU mod but would it actually be needed?

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Luckily I'm able to return said headers without too much of a loss.
:tu: Ya know, you tried. You learned. Nothing !! to be apologetic for.

You went a lot farther in your efforts than I ever would so good on you :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi All
Ok my set up is Kleemann headers to long down pipe with lambo plug to main pipe with second lambo plug to secondary cats to Xpipe to rear boxes . Yes with no front cats removed you require an ECU flash to turn off error code . Your only problem is you need two new cats in front of the Xpipe .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All
Ok my set up is Kleemann headers to long down pipe with lambo plug to main pipe with second lambo plug to secondary cats to Xpipe to rear boxes . Yes with no front cats removed you require an ECU flash to turn off error code . Your only problem is you need two new cats in front of the Xpipe .

Cheers

Andy

I'm here with a set of (what look like) kleemann clones and a nice sounding large bore system. I guess I need to find out if it's only places like Kleemann can do an ECU or if my local rolling road can do this....

if I could ask a favour... do you have any pics of the underside of yours?

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts