Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a lot of fun last year in Malibu, so why not get the ball rolling about our next drive. R)

My idea is towards the end of January (maybe 1/31 ?), but I'm pretty much open to any weekend.

As for where... I'm not from Cali so I'm not that familiar with the roads here yet. Looking at a map, this area picked my interest: http://tinyurl.com/yczbxgw
Any ideas about this? :confused:

Suggestions welcome.

Happy 2010!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I had a lot of fun last year in Malibu, so why not get the ball rolling about our next drive. R)

My idea is towards the end of January (maybe 1/31 ?), but I'm pretty much open to any weekend.

As for where... I'm not from Cali so I'm not that familiar with the roads here yet. Looking at a map, this area picked my interest: http://tinyurl.com/yczbxgw
Any ideas about this? :confused:

Suggestions welcome.

Happy 2010!

Saturdays work better for me. How about January 30, Saturday?

Ortega Hwy... sounds like fun.
Were you not thinking of a San Diego meet and drive? Or perhaps incorporate Highway 74 (aka Ortega Hwy, usually busy with construction) then San Diego? Where to go for lunch? (same place when we first met Cold Shot?)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saturdays or Sundays are equally good for me :)

I was wondering about the B roads around Ortega Hwy actually... I don't know if they're good or not. Maybe somebody from the area would know?

I actually went to San Diego very recently and loved the area but not so much the drive down the 5 :-/
So I was thinking somewhere between LA and San Diego, as I know a few guys here are from the San Diego Area. Any ideas?

·
19,407 Posts
Saturdays or Sundays are equally good for me :)

I was wondering about the B roads around Ortega Hwy actually... I don't know if they're good or not. Maybe somebody from the area would know?

I actually went to San Diego very recently and loved the area but not so much the drive down the 5 :-/
So I was thinking somewhere between LA and San Diego, as I know a few guys here are from the San Diego Area. Any ideas?
Tslick would know.

·
19,407 Posts
Bump.

I couldn't find the thread on a previous drive at the Palomar Observatory.

·
19,407 Posts
Reactions: Bleen

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like it was an awesome run! :)
It seems this time around we aren't having much of a crowd though :-(
I wish I could exactly suggest a route but then again, I don't know the area a lot...

Just waiting for more people to sign up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if we push the date to february and make it halfway between north and south cal ill be there lol

·
19,407 Posts
We haven't done anything like a Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo run. I know Easty did and liked some of the roads in Santa Barbara with great ocean view.

Tslick, help !!! :)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
How about Santa Barbara run? I might be up for that in late February.

·
19,407 Posts
if we push the date to february and make it halfway between north and south cal ill be there lol
IIRC, V6SLK is in your neck of the woods :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm interested in another meet. Id say Saturdays and Sundays are typically about equal for me. Currently the only weekends I can't do are the upcoming one and the last weekend of February.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been to Santa Barbara 3 times and I DO know that area a little :)
The scenery there is beautiful, I'm up for that any weekend as well.

How about February, Saturday 20th?

Here's a National Geographic article called "Drives of a lifetime"... the section about the Santa Barbara loop:

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/drives/santa-barbara.html

Might be a little long though, here's my idea:

http://tinyurl.com/ydtessd

We can get there on the 101 and if when we're done we still have time , I'd take the PCH back south.

Feel free to play with the map, I didn't add a lot of B-roads actually, but I remember the mountains in Santa Barbara were beautiful. They burned last year though, and I don't remember exactly which B-roads over there are the nice ones.

·
19,407 Posts
February 20th is fine. Start a list perhaps.

Feb 20th, Santa Barbara. Where do we all meet before the drive? OrCo guys may elect to meet and caravan up to the meet point. What time do we meet?

·
Registered
83 Posts
February 20th is fine. Start a list perhaps.

Feb 20th, Santa Barbara. Where do we all meet before the drive? OrCo guys may elect to meet and caravan up to the meet point. What time do we meet?
I can meet you in Santa Barbara by Stearns Warf. Take Cabrillo offramp in SB. We can all take a ride up State Street and get plenty of looks from the natives. A hot spot with lots of cafes, shops, the famous Arlington Theater. Its all there. Then hook into San Marcos pass (154)on the north end.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wow thats a pretty far drive haha. alright i can likely do the 20th as well but I would definitely want to caravan.

I can meet you at the costco in Irvine Eddy, and maybe from there we can do 1 or 2 stops along the way for others like Tom, Edward, etc?

·
19,407 Posts
I can meet you in Santa Barbara by Stearns Warf. Take Cabrillo offramp in SB. We can all take a ride up State Street and get plenty of looks from the natives. A hot spot with lots of cafes, shops, the famous Arlington Theater. Its all there. Then hook into San Marcos pass (154)on the north end.
Wow thats a pretty far drive haha. alright i can likely do the 20th as well but I would definitely want to caravan.

I can meet you at the costco in Irvine Eddy, and maybe from there we can do 1 or 2 stops along the way for others like Tom, Edward, etc?
I'm fine with meeting at Stearns Wharf or Chase Palm Park (has parking) as a final way point (prolly plan to be there at 11:00-11:30am), drive a little bit after meeting. Lunch prolly at 1pm, drive thereafter.

Prolly plan on leaving Santa Barbara by 3pm. This will a whole day affair (early morning to late afternoon/early evening).

Waiting for others to chime in. Will be more than happy to meet at Irvine Costco to caravan up north. Looks like a 2+ hour drive without traffic.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good :)

I can meet you guys somewhere around Pasadena or the likes (don't come all the way to Pasadena if it's out of the way--I can drive closer to your route). What freeways are you taking up to the 101?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm fine with meeting at Stearns Wharf or nearby Chase Palm Park (has parking) as a final way point (prolly plan to be there at 11:00-11:30am), drive a little bit after meeting. Lunch prolly at 1pm, drive thereafter.

Prolly plan on leaving Santa Barbara by 3pm. This will a whole day affair (early morning to late afternoon/early evening).

Waiting for others to chime in. Will be more than happy to meet at Irvine Costco to caravan up north. Looks like a 2+ hour drive without traffic.
If not taking the entire route, you would want to at least drive to Cold Springs Tavern. It's only another 20 minutes up the Pass. (check it out on the web). Its on an old stagecoach road so named 'Stagecoach Road'. Then if you didn't want to go all the way to Lompoc to catch hwy 1 you could hit hwy 246 thru Solvang (great tourist spot) then pick up the 101 south in Buellton and back to LA.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts