Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when my SLK350 was stock, it used to chirp when I shift at high RPM's from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I then got 18 inch Brabus Monoblock Vi wheels, and it still chirps when I shift at high RPM.

However, after lowering my car with H&R springs, I slowly began to realize that the car doesn't chirp when I shift anymore. I'm not sure when this exactly started to happen since I don't try to do it on purpose. It's just that now I'm beginning to notice it because the wheels used to grip the road and chirp when I shift at high RPM's. But now, when I shift quickly, the rear just kind of loses grip for a second, sways, and then goes to the next gear. It's not an immediate switch like it used to when it chirped and gripped the road right away.

Do you guys have any idea with whats causing this? Could the 18 inch wheels and lowering springs be what's causing this? Or could it be that my clutch is worn and that I need to get a new clutch?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I do not know exactly, but I think it is a question of the ESP control. If you are switching the gears and you speed up to fast, you´re losing the grip and the ESP (launch control) minimizes the power, the car sways and gets grip again. All that is a question of yours tires, too. New, good ones are not losing the grip as fast as a bad or old rubbers.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
It doesn't sound like a problem to me, OWL is right, if you are shifting to fast or have bald/bad tires, it's losing grip and ESP is doing what it should, try going really slow and skip a gear, eg. on 2nd gear go up to 3000rpm and shift to 4th, you should not hear a chirp.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Several causes

Sounds to me like your springs, although lower, may be a tad softer, thereby absorbing the shifting weight to the rear which could be the cause.

More grippy tires would elimite chirps... is your treadwear rating under 400?
Slipping clutch would be obvious and isn't the problem here.
ESP could be a culprit, but the tell-tale signs should have been present on your previous setups. Put your car in dyno mode and give it a shot.

Another factor could be the temperature of the asphalt and tire pressure.

Are you using run-flats?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is not the ESP because I tried it with the ESP off. I'm also guessing its the springs...

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
The problem is not the ESP because I tried it with the ESP off. I'm also guessing its the springs...
Could be the springs but it should settle already after a week of driving, might be clutch related, you might want to asked DanSLK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.