Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for service for multiple things. I have this weird thing that to the right of my volumn knob, the plastic top surface appears to have "melted" and bits of it was hanging off, and coming off to the touch.

The dealer called, and they said Mercedes denied the warranty claim. That the part was "scratched" and that it is not a trim piece, but would necessitate the $900 replacement of the whole command unit if I wanted to pay for it myself.

I almost never use the volume knob, I use the steering wheel controls instead. Those have scratches, but I use them. I never have my hands by this part, so can not imagine how this part got this issue. Has anyone expierenced anything like this? It is between the volumn knob and the other buttons of command.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Post up a picture - I'm having a hard time visualizing the piece you are talking about. On my first C class, the "rubber" coating on the volume knob melted over time - which MB wanted to fix by replacing the COMAND as well - or you could spend two hours stripping it and $.35 on the replacement cover...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a small piece near the #1 button on the RHS of the Audio 20 module. Look s a little like the coating has bubbled. Not enough for me to worry about yet.

CM

·
Registered
561 Posts
You know the stearing wheel cluster where the buttons are (for volume etc), i'm having a similar problem there where the skin seems to be peeling of (real tiny). Would that be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Write MBUSA.

They are suppose to take a condition inventory when you take a car in, so that you can't blame them, if something was already there. If it's not on the paper, you should be believed. I mean, honestly you'd know if it was there before.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No to all. I will post up pics, there are actually two places where it's starting to happen again at the top corner's of the screen. I think it is because there is something wrong with the plastic and the heat from the screen is causing it to "delaminate" or something.

The plastic literally comes off, like little balls of lint, and you rub your finger and the top coat comes right off. When it first starts, the plastic looks white, like it has wax on it.

The marks are too low to be from drink condensation, I rarely if ever use the drink holder, if I do it is only to transport the drinks home. The cigarette lighter comes out to make way for the air pump after events to put the tires back to "gas milleage" inflation.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the pictures.

I admit, the top part does look like scratches, but that I do not remember seeing and did not tell them about. Even still there would not be scratches there, I never touch that area.

You can see the plastic has come off not only in the area to the right of the volumn control, but also on the bevel for the screen. It arcs along the volumn, but that is because I was cleaning with a soft towel and water to get the little nubs of plastic sticking up off.

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Here are the pictures.

I admit, the top part does look like scratches, but that I do not remember seeing and did not tell them about. Even still there would not be scratches there, I never touch that area.

You can see the plastic has come off not only in the area to the right of the volumn control, but also on the bevel for the screen. It arcs along the volumn, but that is because I was cleaning with a soft towel and water to get the little nubs of plastic sticking up off.
Do not try to clean nor scrub any more, other than light touch/dabbing with damp & clean microfiber cloth. I have some thing quite similar near the down menu button on the steering wheel controls but I believe it's from me pushing the butons in that area several times a day. My guess is that the skin oil, sunlight with roof down and heat over time may degrade the flat paint used.

If you're handy, you can mask around the area and use an air brush to spray clear flat in several coats to protect it from getting worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.