Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what happens to a sheet of ice when it's forced against the shoreline by the action of wind/tide. It's not seen often, as the ice has to be one big unbroken sheet to begin with (most harbour ice is largely broken up), but it's cool someone caught it on tape.

P.S. yes they are speaking English - or our version of it anyway!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that really a weird phenomena? I'd seem to think up in north eastern Canada that would be a common occurrence.
Ice in harbours certainly isn't, unfortunately *L*. But it usually gets broken up very quickly after forming into small pieces a few feet across. Or if weather/sea conditions are such that is does freeze without breaking up, it quickly freezes to a thickness too great to still be light enough to be forced up along a shoreline in the way shown above. Just as Inuit (eskimo) have over 20 words for various kinds of "snow", there are as many different forms of sea ice. So, to get ALL the conditions just right to have happen what was captured there on camera, is indeed pretty rare. :)

Canadian winters, gotta love 'em - I still have over 6 feet on snow on my front lawn!:(

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW!

At least thats really weird for me, In my country we don't even have snowfall
Consider yourself lucky johnnie! I hate the damn stuff *L*.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
I need subtitles...
:biglaugh:

Yeah, that's pretty cool! Like Superman's crystal cathedral but with false starts.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.