Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· *Registered
2014 SLK250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with my car that i'm hoping one of you brilliant people will have an idea on.

Sometimes (but not everytime) during the first real acceleration on a journey (and ONLY on the very first time) i will lose power to the centre console for about a second. Even less often I will also lose the instrument cluster at the same time.

This has happened for a little while and was nothing more than an odd quirk, however last week on Wednesday when leaving work it did it and the headlights also went off (first time I had noticed but may have happened before) and the driver side bulb blew. I got both headlights replaced on Thursday and all seemed to be fine, but then on Friday when leaving work it happened again, but this time both headlights didn't come back on.

Nothing else seems to be affected within the car or with the lights. Full beams still work normally, as do indicators, sidelights and DRLs

Checking with the Mercedes Me app, my battery level is usually 12.3v at start and on last hounrey finished at 14.9v

Fuses have been checked and all are fine.

Let me know if you have any ideas?

Many thanks

Carl

· *Registered
2017 SLC300
7 Posts
Hi all,

Hoping one of you cleverclogs might be able to help me.

I've been getting a weird issue where on the first time accelerating with any force (like pulling out of a junction) taht I lose power to the centre console for about a second and then it comes back on, this doesn't happen everytime and I can't find a correlation for it. Additionally, sometimes the instrument cluster also does it at the same time. It was never a major issue just a strange quirk, however last Wednesday the headlights also went off (I haven't noticed them do it before) and when everything came back on the driver's side dipped beam bulb had blown. I then got both healdights replaced and all seemed to be fine, no furtthr instances of the power dissapearing from centre colsole etc. but then on Friday it happened gain when leaving work and this time both headlights blew.

I have checked fuses and all seem to be fine, car starts fine everytime and the Mercedes Me app shows that on latest journey battery started with 12.3v and finished with 14.9v

Anyone come across something like this or have any ideas what might be the issue? I don't want to just hand it over to a garage to chrage me the Earth to investigate

Many thanks

Carl
If all is OK in the battery department, check your engine mounts for "excessive movement" it may be straining the wiring loom and connectors as the engine moves under power, the movement can be considerable.
Check that the wiring harness around the engine has not been secured inappropriately limiting the slack required for normal movement.
Good luck with that one!
Steve

· *Registered
2014 SLK250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a volt meter, check battery before you leave from work. 12.3 is a weak battery. Alternator is working at that output.
Good shout, took it to a local guy who did a battery and alternator test. Looks like battery is on it's last legs and he noticed the alternator spiking, could have been a short in teh battery causing a small blip making the alternator kcik in when it didn't need to causing a surge.

New battery being fitted later so fingers crossed that was the issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts