Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. Can anyone help with the following very annoying problem.
The drivers side air vents only blow warm air regardless of where the control knob is set. The passenger side works fine and weirdly if I turn off the engine and then turn the key to position one (engine not running but still hot) the drivers side is fine?
I presume the control is electronic rather than mechanical and probably some electronic bit has gone wonky but maybe someone knows an easy fix? Better that than the garage eh
Thanks for reading
Mal

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi MallyBum, welcome to the site.

It would probably help if you listed which model SLK you have and which country you're from so we can help you better. But JBanks will probably be along to reaffirm this.

But two suggestions from my limited car expertise. One, is the AC button on/off (depends on your model)? And two, have you checked the fuses?

And if all else fails, it's the K40 relay :biglaugh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi tommy04. Thanks for that and thanks for being my first replier. Thought I'd done the profile thing but didnt show up on post, have redone. Im from a little town called Southport in the UK and car is a 230 (170). Have not checked fuses due to it regulating properly when the ignition is in position one (as soon as engine is fired up the constant heat resumes immediately) Ac is in economy (off). K40 relay? not come across that yet but will look around for some info.
Thanks

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Mal - I remember Southport from the annual 24hour dinghy race I used to go to back in the '70s - good p1$$ up with a bit of racing thrown in !!

There are a couple of threads on here about the hvac system working on one side only - you've just got to be 'imaginative' on your search terms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just fixed the same problem on my 98 SLK. There is a dual valve assembly mounted almost on top of the front right fender. These valves control the mix of hot and cold water flowing to the two heat exchangers that supply heat and cooling to the driver and passenger. These are mechanical valves that are electrically controlled, so the problem could be either electrical or mechanical. Troubleshooting is easy: simply exchange the two wires that attach to the dual valve assembly. If the problem moves to the other side, it's an electrical problem. If the problem stays on the same side, the valve is stuck. The part costs about $180 US and can be ordered on line. You can replace it yourself by disconnecting two wires and three water hoses. My (former) mechanic wanted a total of $740 US to replace it, which is why he is no longer my mechanic. My new mechanic did the job for $240, parts included, in under 15 minutes.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,372 Posts
rbussard,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on your location and model and year.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’ and ‘location’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.