Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing my wheels, the purpose is to save unsprung weight and hopefully improve acceleration if only a little. I can't find the weight of the stock 18 inch 5 spoke wheels. Any body have any info?
Thanks, john

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't think you would shave off more than a few pounds from the combined weight of driver, fuel, car, car wheels etc

Sorry to pee on your bonfire but it is chasing a negligible holy grail!

More effective ways of cutting the laden weight of the car are: removing all the carpet, glove box door and other trim items, passenger seat can be removed if it is driver only.

Be sure to calculate how much fuel you need for the journey to the next gas station as this is likely to save AT LEAST 50Kg / 100LB.

Lesser benefits come from carrying the minimum of windscreen washer fluid, only wearing underwear and no shoes.

Finally, probably the most effective method by far is to Google "Jenny Craig" rather than "micro-light alloy wheels" because most of us carry 10's of LB of extra weight that we really don't need our car to have lug around, slowing us down.

(I do balk at airline check in when they are concerned about me having 7.2Kg of carry on luggage when a 120Kg obese person just waddles on nonchalantly guilt free!)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think you would shave off more than a few pounds from the combined weight of driver, fuel, car, car wheels etc

Sorry to pee on your bonfire but it is chasing a negligible holy grail!

More effective ways of cutting the laden weight of the car are: removing all the carpet, glove box door and other trim items, passenger seat can be removed if it is driver only.

Be sure to calculate how much fuel you need for the journey to the next gas station as this is likely to save AT LEAST 50Kg / 100LB.

Lesser benefits come from carrying the minimum of windscreen washer fluid, only wearing underwear and no shoes.

Finally, probably the most effective method by far is to Google "Jenny Craig" rather than "micro-light alloy wheels" because most of us carry 10's of LB of extra weight that we really don't need our car to have lug around, slowing us down.

(I do balk at airline check in when they are concerned about me having 7.2Kg of carry on luggage when a 120Kg obese person just waddles on nonchalantly guilt free!)
Finally, someone who understands my logic! Thanks, I had thought about wearing underwear, but I don't usually wear them and the leather seats get kind of sticky...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,902 Posts
And then they have to take up half your seat in addition to their assigned seat because they can't fit into their assigned seat because of the over-flow :surprise:

I cant help but think this should be moderated :wink:

·
Registered
525 Posts
It is not so much unsprung weight of wheels that matters, but "rotational" weight.

To accelerate a car you have to both accelerate the rotational weight, plus accelerate them in the direction of movement. Rotational weight affects accelleration performance twice!

1kg wheel weight could have the equivelent effect of 3kg sprung weight.

Unsprung weight (brake calipers, disks (rotors), suspension components and wheels) affects handling mainly as give the suspension a harder time.

So a good place to save wight is in the wheels and brake rotors, but as said only really important when squeezing the last drop of performance from the car.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at OZ ALLEGGERITA HLT Star Silver Paint 18 inch...they weigh in at 18.5 lbs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
878 Posts
A guy with an NSX (old style) dropped 7lbs off each wheel and ran 10 0-60 runs on each one, same tires. He dropped .04 sec off his 0-60. So I wouldn't go lighter wheels for acceleration, it just isn't worth it. Now if you want wider wheels too and a better look, then go for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts