Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been so long in the making, my previous SLK wasn't even wrecked yet when we started talking about it! :D

Join your fellow SoCal SLKers on Saturday 8/20 for a drive through the hills north of Escondido, up and down Palomar and onward to Julian, for lunch followed by authentic Julian apple pie!

We will meet in the morning of 8/20 at 8:30am in the Park & Ride at the Deer Springs Rd exit off I-15. There is an AM/PM, a gas station (Arco it looks like), and plenty of parking hopefully on the weekend when there's not (m)any car-poolers.

The address for this location is Address: 26915 Mesa Rock Rd, Escondido, CA 92026 (CLICKY!).

See this picture for the general layout:

Drive-off will be promptly at 9:00am when we'll get back on I-15 North for one exit, getting off at Gopher Canyon Rd. After that we'll follow a twisty, windy road which will eventually lead to Julian via the back entrance :D. See this map (CLICKY!) for a rough idea of the route.

After lunch, pie and a great time, we'll head back to I-15 via another circuitous route (or you can beeline it if you prefer).

Should be a great time, folks! And judging by another thread in this sub-forum, there's some pent-up demand. So let's see! :D Please add your name to the roll-call if you're interested in attending.

PS: I realize a wildfire has been burning west of I-15 right in this area, but I plan to scout the entire route next weeked. If anything worries me about the route, we'll do something slightly different to avoid the bad spots. I don't believe it should be a problem though based on the news articles I've seen.

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Roll-call:

1) Durkatlon
2) etyu
3) ...
4) ...
5) ...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,598 Posts
I only have 10 posts and cannot send a PM with my phone number :surprise:
please add me to the roll-call as Fasterhorses
Fasterhorses

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.

·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updating the roll-call:

Roll-call:

1) Durkatlon
2) etyu
3) SoCalBeachrunner
4) Fasterhorses
5) 9021Jae
6) ...
7) ...

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Updating the roll-call:

Roll-call:

1) Durkatlon
2) etyu
3) SoCalBeachrunner
4) Fasterhorses
5) 9021Jae
6) pwslk
7) ...
8) ...

·
19,400 Posts
I only have 10 posts and cannot send a PM with my phone number :surprise:
please add me to the roll-call as Fasterhorses
As Jeff suggested, say hi to New Members and you'll have 15 posts in no time.

·
19,400 Posts
We may have to find a place and allow extra time to check out what SoCalBeachRunner has done to the infotainment system.

·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We may have to find a place and allow extra time to check out what SoCalBeachRunner has done to the infotainment system.
"Julian" :D :D

Hah, but seriously though. The amount of hacking he has done to the car over the years is amazing. I am very curious what the car looks like now.

·
19,400 Posts

Hah, but seriously though. The amount of hacking he has done to the car over the years is amazing. I am very curious what the car looks like now.
There's Julian Elementary School near the Julian Pie Company.

Wifey has already placed her request for one whole apple pie to take home. I plan on bringing a cooler and cold packs just in case.

·
S L K Tech Enthusiast
602 Posts

Demo on! All we need is decent AT&T coverage, maybe start a little earlier or adjust schedule to allow some time for show-n-tell.

I'd love seeing what the rest of you have been up to as well. You can't have too many beautiful SLKs.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks for the invite Durk! Wait what... new SLK? Old one got wrecked ??? WTH Did you post about this? I don't frequent these forums as much anymore... :/

Unlikely I'll be able to do next weekend, will update if things change.

·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was up at 6am this morning for the dry-run of next weekend's route. I hit the start at 7am I think and the sun was still super-low, and basically no cars anywhere on any of the twisty parts. It was insanely fun, and I got a chance to get the hang of running a V8 up those hills. It's actually a bit different than the 350 I had before in that with the 55 you actually use 2nd gear sometimes, whereas in the 350 that gear is basically pointless for the twisties.

Here's a section near the top of Palomar from this morning's test-run.

Wait what... new SLK? Old one got wrecked ??? WTH Did you post about this? I don't frequent these forums as much anymore... :/
Hey Pablo, yes my SLK was involved in a hit-n-run with a semi tractor back in May. See here (CLICK!) for the gory details.

Finally, a repeat of the roll-call for your updating pleasure:

1) Durkatlon
2) etyu
3) SoCalBeachrunner
4) Fasterhorses
5) 9021Jae
6) pwslk
7) willyslk350
8) ...

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
A family situation just came up so I'm going to bow out. Was really looking forward to this one. Disappointing because it's so close by also.
Hope all you guys and gal have a great time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts