Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and i would like to spend 1 week (from 28th july) in SF and around. Do you have some recommendations for the hotel and the area which are interesting ?
Is is better to have an hotel downtown or 10/15 miles from the city (better area ?)

Do you have any favourite place or area ?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,162 Posts
I don't much care for cities, but we enjoyed the quick trip out of SF to Muir woods. I can recommend that. It's just across the bridge to the north and then maybe 5 miles to the west (if I remember from maybe 15 years or more ago :) )

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Beautiful city. Only visited once and that was ten years ago. Stayed close to downtown. We spent a week in SF but took a side trip to Las Vegas for three days. Air fare to LV was dirt cheap. Everything in LV is dirt cheap compared to SF, except for the gambling. If you've never been to Las Vegas, consider a few days there. It's one of the most exciting places I've visited.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noted also .
is the public transportation is ok in SF or should we rent a car (the car park is possible nor too expensive ?)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rent a car. There's too much around region to sweat cabs. Unless you like a salty mix of folks, the transit around the city can be "interesting".

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Rent a car. There's too much around region to sweat cabs. Unless you like a salty mix of folks, the transit around the city can be "interesting".
As a tourist I would have to disagree with you mate. If you want to see all the things in the city reearch the public transport or budget for taxi's.
The transport is awesome if you spend enough time figuring it out. I was stuck with my car and staying in the city, I ended up just leaving my
car at the airport and riding in on the Bart. Basically everywhere you go where ever you go you'll struggle for parking. and when you find it, it's
bloody expensive. I'd say get a car for seeing the sight's outside of the city. but use taxi's at night and the public transport with the city is fun..

I was there in March for nearly two weeks I think. awesome place but I would say out of all the cities in the US I have been to, and thats most of them.
SF is the worst for parking. ;) it's about the same price to park as NYC, but at least spots are available in NY.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I agree with Easty. BART (Bay Area Regional Transit) is the way to go. Rent a car when you're going to nearby Napa Valley for wine tasting. There's also a Culinary School in Napa Valley (do a search on the web) and they have a restaurant -- you get to try the student's work :D. Plenty of good food in San Francisco.

·
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all and your different ideas. We have checked yesterday evening the price of the flight .. Oups !
I thought it will be cheaper at the latest moment. i'm totally wrong. :(

Maybe, we should postpone this week ..

·
19,407 Posts
Thanks to all and your different ideas. We have checked yesterday evening the price of the flight .. Oups !
I thought it will be cheaper at the latest moment. i'm totally wrong. :(

Maybe, we should postpone this week ..
Try cheaptickets.com

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your link, Eddy.
In fact, i've found the same price as travelocity, ebookers or lastminute : 4000$ with 1 stops, 5000$ without for 2 people ... : Summer vacation in France + latest momment .... Even with 1.38$ for 1€ ....

·
19,407 Posts
Thanks for your link, Eddy.
In fact, i've found the same price as travelocity, ebookers or lastminute : 4000$ with 1 stops, 5000$ without for 2 people ... : Summer vacation in France + latest momment .... Even with 1.38$ for 1€ ....
That is expensive.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I"m sure you've tried a few. But look at sidestep, orbitz, kayak. last minute isn't always great. it's often worst these days. I fly home alot and it generally difficult to find checp flights late. Airlines work to a stricter fill rate now. It seems they overbook a lot more then they used to and it results in the last min deals being fewer. Although they are possible. maybe look at getting a seperate booking.. cheap new york flight and then a new york to SFO. i've done that before and it's worked out cheaper.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I agree with Easty. BART (Bay Area Regional Transit) is the way to go. Rent a car when you're going to nearby Napa Valley for wine tasting. There's also a Culinary School in Napa Valley (do a search on the web) and they have a restaurant -- you get to try the student's work :D. Plenty of good food in San Francisco.
Sure if you're going to stay in the city, but I think this reply also works with what I said. The coin spent on a car is worth it, even for only a couple of days for things like going to the wine country or a drive along our famed california coast. You don't run the coast on a bus.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
NAPA is fantastic, But he's from france guys.. rolling hills and wine drinking is the norm. haha.

An amazing place I'd do and the drive down the coast through monteray is also amazing is hearst castle it's 3-4 hours south on the coast but certainly worth it.
and as I say the costal drive is great. also my favorite place in SF is not in SF, it's sausalito. drive across the golden gate bridge and take your first exit into the town find a great little coffe shop looking out over the marina after you drive through the town on your right.. I sat in that place for a couple of afternoons uploading photo's from my trip and chilling. hint for some images.. ;)

looking over Napa

That famous st. is it lombard?

Me and some bridge

·
19,407 Posts
Lombard St. is right and Fisherman's Wharf is close by. Ghiradelli Ice Cream is also near.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:DZeiser50, take advantage of that favorable currency conversion rate and head west. I hope things work out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.