Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Did a search on the subject and could not find any threads that applied to my situation. Have a 1999 SLK 230 and the issue I am having is that the brakes are weak when starting up after about sitting for 4 hours or more. If I let the car warm up for about 3-5 minutes before I drive, the brakes are normal. However, if I drive the car prior to the engine idling down to about 750RPM, the brakes do not feel as strong. I have to really step on the brake pedal for the car to stop. Let me see if I can explain this better. After the car has been sitting for a while (overnight or in the parking lot at work), I start the car and it idles at around 1200-1500rpm to get to operating temperature. If I drive the car at this idle speed, the brakes are weak and it takes a lot of effort stepping on the brake pedal for the car to stop. Brake pedal feel is the same, just takes more effort to stop. If I wait a few minutes to get the idle to come down to 750rpm, then drive the car, the brakes work as they should and the car stops on a dime. Any ideas what may cause this? Do you think it is the brake booster loosing vacuum when the car sits for 4 hours or more? Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
MotoServDog

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump
I really need some help, guys and gals. Don't really want to take it to a dealer yet till I've exhausted all resources. R170 experts, help!!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Easy things first even though they may not be your problem. Is the brake fluid reservoir full? Has the fluid been serviced/flushed every two years as required?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.