Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t wait, starting Friday we are heading out for our Smoky Mountain road trip.
Day 1 Heading out to Maryville, TN:)
Day 2 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway
Day 3 Moonshiner Run
Day 4 Exploring roads and waterfalls around Highlands, TN
Day 5 Six Gap
Day 6-7 Heading over to Pisgah National Forest in search of more twisty roads
Day 8-9 Who knows
Day 10 Heading Home:(

If anyone has driven any of these roads and have any recommendations for other roads, waterfalls or other can’t miss attractions I would greatly appreciate it.

As always it seems the biggest challenge for the trip is packing. Most of the days are 100 to 150 miles day, I think that is very attainable.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
Tail of the Dragon 11 miles and 318 curves, what a ride. For a slow nice easy ride is to do any part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, it has a lot of pull offs for picture taking.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Have a safe trip!! The major problem you will have will be the vehicles in front of you holding you up. Please - plenty of pictures and reports of things to see and things not to see.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
There are photographers along the dragon every day. Killboy http://www.killboy.com/ is the most famous. Look through the pictures he posts every day for the shots he will take of your car, don't forget to smile and wave! I've purchased from him a few times and Darryl is good people. We were doing a club calendar a few years ago and he gave me permission to use one of his photos (I had purchased) of my car at no extra charge as long as he was credited in the calendar. He responded to e-mails quickly and was quite reasonable. Enjoy your trip!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Have a great road trip :tu:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
It's a great trip - I've done the Dragon once, and other than crazed Motorbikes, was excellent. Louise and I frequently do 1000+ mile trips stateside in the SLK, and love it - key is to take strategic rest breaks!

As a matter of fact, I watched the sunset on Lookout Mountain when I was driving the '55 home! :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
You'll need to add "Devil's Triangle" while your up around Knoxville. It's like Deals Gap but along side of a mountain...up down and across. I was on Deals Gap and Cherohola two weeks ago and all the roads were fine. John's right about the crotch rockets, they are everywhere. If you're going during the week, you should be fine. When you get to the gas station, ask about the "Tree of shame" and "Wall of shame". Very interesting.

The water falls should be great since we just received 12 inches of rain. To be safe, call the places you're going to, just to make sure the falls are not dry. Some are fed by the tennessee river. You should check out Burgess waterfalls, very pretty and you walk along side and climb down http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/burgess.shtml

Enjoy your trip and be safe.
Dave

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for all the great information please keep it coming. We will defiantly post some photos of the trip along the way. Uncle John thanks for the tip on killboy.com will keep a look out for him and for the crazed Motorbikes also. FLSTF if we have time we will check out the Devils Triangle. If we don’t make it this time then it is just a reason for another road trip! UK-C200 I do agree with you that taking breaks is the key!

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Have a safe trip. My wife and i did a road trip two years ago. We went to Ill, drove down to KY went across to DC then up to upstate NY then back to NH. Take lots of pictures and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! And your plan sounds quite reasonable - lots of time to take in the sites, have a meal, enjoy each other's company! Please do tell us all about it!

Have a safe and happy outing!

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I can tell you that the Natchez Trace Parkway leading out of Franklin TN is the most incredible roadway I've ever traveled.....420 miles of pristine pavement with beautiful scenery and NO commercial traffic. You can drive all or part of it. The NTP is one of our National Scenic Byways. See my post in the Road trip section.

I think your miles per day estimate is just about right. IMO it's crazy to push so hard that you can't enjoy the experience. Stopping and gazing at your SLK amidst the beautiful scenery is a delight in itself!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
So, 4 months later, how was the trip? Remember, try to keep Sat., June 2 open for the Indiana SLK Meet. I'm thinking very strongly on doing the "long" version, having breakfast & dinner in Greencastle and lunch in Story. Makes for a longish day(only 1 hr, really), but the better food is worth it(IMHO).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounded like a fun trip !!! I just did a 1500 miles trip in 21 hrs. straight driving from Houston TX to LA Cali and love it !! Be safe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds fab!

The two main trunk roads to where we were going yesterday both reported delays of 30 minutes or so, so we took the country lanes. Took just as long, but country lanes in the SLK are way more fun than sitting in the queue of traffic.

We're off at the weekend to central France (www.laverrerie.org) and that's 600 miles of french autoroute, but then lots of mountain twisties when we get there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts