Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to remove an opened ended part that terminates in the engine. One person reported using WD-40 to help get the part out. I was unsure if WD-40 is a safe lubricant to use if it can possibly get into the engine. If not WD-40, then what spray lubricant is engine safe? Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi,

If you are using WD-40 as a penetrating oil then there are better products. WD-40 is more of a general purpose oil. It does penetrate but I've found a much better product is PlusGas penetrating oil.

It is always best to wrap any electrics in something that will stop any oil getting onto them but there is nothing particularly dangerous in the make-up of PlusGas, nor WD-40 come to that.

The benefit of WD-40 is that it is multi-purpose whereas PlusGas is specific to penetrating.

Hope this helps,

Derek

·
Registered
287 Posts
You did not say if the part was metal. If metal WD40 or PB Blaster will work. Don't overdo amount and wipe of excess. Give it a little time to work. In very small amounts it will not hurt the engine whether it goes in crankcase, combustion chambers, or whatever. Keep them off plastic, rubber, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The piece that needed to come out (already broken) was molded plastic. Turns out once I got a good hold of the item, it slipped right out. No lubricant needed. I appreciate all the input because I am sure there will be other occasions when I need this info.

I will get some PlusGas to put in the tool box. Always have diesel on hand since I have a tractor.:ch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.