Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've inherited water spots on the exterior glass rear view mirrors, passenger and the rear window on my 01 SLK 230. I've tried magic eraser and griot's glass polish which yielded no benefit. Can you recommend a product, remedy or technique to remove water spots on glass?
Thank you

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,745 Posts
Distilled White Vinegar 50/50 with water :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the 50/50 vinegar and removed some spots, but some were still showing. Ended up using Kaboom shower cleaner with oxyclean and it worked really good! It restored the glass to the greenish hue of new glass. Prior owner must have used some hard water. Kaboom got all that crud off.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,745 Posts
You could always go straight vinegar without diluting

·
Super Moderator
10,935 Posts
Prior owner must have used some hard water. Kaboom got all that crud off.
When your ONLY supply is hard water, its really hard to avoid. Nice to hear solutions though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A word o f caution. I learned the Kaboom technique on YouTube from a guy who applied Kaboom with 0000 steel wool. Don't use with steel wool with Kaboom. It reacts with the steel wool and will literally cause the wool to smoke. I used a wax applicator pad and let the chemical sit a couple minutes between treatments then rinsed with water careful to avoid contact with rubber window seals and the paint

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used Glass/Ceramic Stove Top cleaner polish like WEIMAN which I get in Walmart.I use a microfiber cloth or NON-scratch pad that usually comes with the polish. Never fails.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Living in a hard water area the water spots were a nightmare. I bought a large DI cartridge and always rinse with it attached to my hose.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VYAIR-0817-1 ... SwCHtZlI1Q
I also reccomend using DI water for the screen wash mix - no more smeary wipers.
Mark
OMG now I have to add to my car care items......(but I can tell my wife that it is good for the house windows as she hates streaks.

I have been wondering how the window cleaners (house) got them streak free.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Living in a hard water area the water spots were a nightmare. I bought a large DI cartridge and always rinse with it attached to my hose.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VYAIR-0817-1 ... SwCHtZlI1Q
I also reccomend using DI water for the screen wash mix - no more smeary wipers.
Mark
Be careful with DI water, Deionized water is an usually pure form of water. Water actually is a very aggressive solvent. In our normal contact with water, it already has a lot of things dissolved in it, and is pretty tame. Deionized water is so aggressive that it will begin to attack metal, plastic, or even stainless steel. It will readily absorb carbon dioxide in the air. It's the DI water that you miss in cracks and crevices that's allowed to sit that will attack your paint, plastic, chrome and even stainless steel if left too long. If you get water on your hands from your DI cartridge and it doesn't immediately suck the oils out of your hands and leave them chapped and dry I wouldn't worry too much it's not producing pure DI water.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You could always go straight vinegar without diluting
Vinegar you buy at the grocery store is already diluted to 5% acidity, you don't want to smell 100% vinegar. Store bought vinegar straight from the bottle is already 95% water. You can buy 30% but it's like $25 a gallon and labeled a corrosive, consuming 80% would be lethal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts