Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a weird one that i could not find in my searching. On my r170 water and i mean a lot of water is finding its way behind the black side panels under the doors. I can hear when im stop and go. I pull the 2 plugs for the jack, and a few hard stop and starts, and im getting a gallon or 2 out. Happening after i drive in the rain. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,349 Posts
Have 2 agree with live free. Clogged Drains a common Problem on all Mb. Dating back 2 1959. Not alot Mb Drivers pay at attention 2 it. Twice a Year check them Plugs. Remember them Mbs W 108 114 115 116 123 you lift up the Rubber Mat in the Trunk and you see Rust. Yep clooged Plugs...

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
Heres a weird one that i could not find in my searching. On my r170 water and i mean a lot of water is finding its way behind the black side panels under the doors. I can hear when im stop and go. I pull the 2 plugs for the jack, and a few hard stop and starts, and im getting a gallon or 2 out. Happening after i drive in the rain. Any ideas? Thanks

In addition, you could check the outer seals of the side windows (where the windows slide down). Those seals wear out and water starts dripping inside the door frame, especially on cheaper brands...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. There was a slight amount of dirt on the plugs but not much. First time i noticed this, i used a hose a blasted water in there to flush it out, drove with hard stops with plugs removedHow and where does this water get in? Cleaned the plugs with hot water and put them back in.. Talking a gallon or more in there... Window seals look tight, and the doors are not connected to where this water is... Thx:tu:

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. There was a slight amount of dirt on the plugs but not much. First time i noticed this, i used a hose a blasted water in there to flush it out, drove with hard stops with plugs removedHow and where does this water get in? Cleaned the plugs with hot water and put them back in.. Talking a gallon or more in there... Window seals look tight, and the doors are not connected to where this water is... Thx:tu:

Can you please take a picture of the panels.I suppose you have checked the drain plugs in front of the wind shield. However, I assume that the guys are talking about the plugs which are situated under the fitted carpet under your floor mats. You should remove the carpet and check below. Just be careful with the removal. However, water can leak from there only if you are driving over puddles and in that case, the carpet will be wet as well... It could also drip from the side of the doors where the hinges are situated if the door is slightly misaligned.

You can also pour water from a bottle into the drain plugs in front of the wind shield and look under the car to see how much of that water is going to leak on the ground.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All 4 drains appear to be working, but i had a couple gallons of water on the drivers side floor. Pulled the 2 plugs on the drivers side side panels and did a few hard stops water was puring out. Crazy, im stumped:mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured it out!!!!!!!!!! There is a large rubber plug with an angled outlet just forward of the rear tire next to the hard rubber bumper. Pulled that and holy cow did water pour out, prob 2 gallons. It was clogged with crap. Cleaned and replaced. Other side was also cleaned but no water. Now i have to get the seat out and dry the carpet. Whew!!!!!!!!:bannana:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car is in the shop getting the carpet replaced. Will take pics when i get it back. Basically just foward of the rear tire next to the hard rubber bumper. Cant miss iit, soft rubber with an angled outlet. Pop it out clean it and replace it. Thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.