Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its time for my first repair of the 06 55 we bought a couple of months ago. Kind of surprising the water pump would fail at 60k miles but guess it could be worse. A few questions...it looks like OEM is the only way to go, is that correct? Any cautions when I start into this project? THKS

Also, what is the best documentation for a service manual and where do I get it?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How was the fault identified?
Several things...as my sweetie tells it.
Steam when pulling into driveway, water low message, and when I poured water into expansion bottle it just drained onto garage floor from the pump.
Most water pumps have an exit hole they leak from when a failure occures, most of the time it starts out as a small drip but this one pours out of it. Just ordered a pump from my mercedes parts.com for $373.50 plus shipping, hope it comes soon as she is not a happy girl when she doesn't get to drive her SLK.
Waiting to hear back from member to see if he still has the service CD if not will order one just in case and for future repaires. Still pouring over extended warr options.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have the water pump on its way from mymercedesparts and found out I had to order the service cd from my dealer so should be tearing into it this weekend. Thank you REB for pointing me in the right direction but I am a little surprised haven't seen anyone chime in and say what type of job this will be. Do most folks just take these to the dealer or Indy to have work done? I wouldn't even consider that on any of my other vehicles and don't think there is any magic under the hood of the 55. Am I asking these tech questions in the wrong place?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Glad to see that you are making progress. Not sure why you haven't gotten a lot of response. I don't see a lot on water pump replacements, and the 55's are not as common as the V6's here in the US, so my guess is that the percentage of members who tear into their 55 's engine is pretty low.

I gave the forum a cursory look and didn't see any threads on a water pump replacement for a 55, so you may be in uncharted territory. Why don't you travel over to some of the other M-B forums like BenzWorld, MBWorld, etc. and see what they have to say. The M-B 113 engine was used in other cars - so you may be able to find a thread where someone replaced it on an ML500 , say or something like that.

If you haven't been to STARTekInfo then you may be able to learn some things about it there.

Here is a Model chart that shows what cars have what engines. SLK55 is shown as 113.989. I don't totally understand the second set of #'s (989) but maybe someone else will chime in. http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/10656/?requestedDocId=10656

Here are the training files - they have one on the M272 engine that powers the SLK 280/300/350, so there may be one for the 113 - not sure. The SLK is the section labeled R171 http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/index.htm

You could also look up the AMG site and see what they have available.

Anyway - hope that helps. Best Wishes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks REB, the part came in so I decided to get to work even though the sevice CD won't arrive till later this week. It wasn't too bad, dropped the fan shroud down out of the way pulled the two oil lines and presto...well after about a thousand bolts! Not really but they didn't want that pump to move. This has to be the worst water pump failure I have ever seen. Also found was a bad bearing in upper idler pulley, between that and the toasted pump this thing should purr. Now just waiting on the new idler pully, wanted to replace the bearing in it but turns out the bearing is molded into the outer plastic of the pulley. I can now say I have no fear of the SLK55, my normal everyday wrenches seem to fit very well on it and my only reason for sending it to an Indy will be because I want to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts