Mercedes SLK World banner

SmartTOP questions

• I have a R170 SmartTOP and had no issues installing it

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • I have a R170 SmartTOP and had issues of my own fault but got it working

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I have a R170 SmartTOP and had hardware/software issues that needed replacing

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I have a R170 SmartTOP and used the Slkworld DIY by thunderstorm

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and had no issues installing it

Votes: 80 33.8%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and had issues of my own fault but got it working

Votes: 18 7.6%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and had hardware/software issues that needed replacing

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and used the Slkworld DIY

Votes: 52 21.9%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and had no issues installing it

Votes: 59 24.9%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and had issues of my own fault but got it working

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and had hardware/software issues that needed replacing

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and used the Slkworld DIY by White Rabbit

Votes: 28 11.8%
  • Eddy Installed Mine :)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Woolly Installed Mine

Votes: 1 0.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Reactions: LIL DON SLK
Smart top experts I fitted mine yesterday and all good except i think when I turn the ignition off midway during top moving it stops and I have to turn ignition back on and activate top again to finish.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Smart top experts I fitted mine yesterday and all good except i think when I turn the ignition off midway during top moving it stops and I have to turn ignition back on and activate top again to finish.
there is a setting for that
maybe you did not set it :D

That can be changed in one of the options. Check the Operation and Programming manual, and set functions 2 and 3 to allow ignition off and on while top is in operation (i.e. set those to setting 3 or 4, depending on whether you want windows to end up or down).

Also, you have set you max speed (function 4) to something greater than zero, haven't you? :D

Edit: Jeff beat me to it, but didn't include details of the setting... although I guess he could go back and add that info now too! :D

Installed mine today on the R170. I got the blinking DATA light on the module which meant module connected correctly. Got in the car and was able to one button push to close the roof, yay! Then I tried remote open the roof, no go. Got in the car and tried the button to open and the trunk open half way and stopped, push the button to close it. Argh, what happened???
I looked at the taps and one of plugs was pushed all the way to the base of the wire tap and the rest of the plugs were pushed half way. After I pushed the rest of the plugs all the way to the base of the wire taps, tried again and worked fine, whew! The DIY video really helped convince me that it was doable.
Having owned this car for the past 16 years, it's the first time that I have ever seen my roof opening/closing while I am next to it.

Installed mine today on the R170. I got the blinking DATA light on the module which meant module connected correctly. Got in the car and was able to one button push to close the roof, yay! Then I tried remote open the roof, no go. Got in the car and tried the button to open and the trunk open half way and stopped, push the button to close it. Argh, what happened???
I looked at the taps and one of plugs was pushed all the way to the base of the wire tap and the rest of the plugs were pushed half way. After I pushed the rest of the plugs all the way to the base of the wire taps, tried again and worked fine, whew! The DIY video really helped convince me that it was doable.
Having owned this car for the past 16 years, it's the first time that I have ever seen my roof opening/closing while I am next to it.
If the roof throw a wobbly moment, it is best to try to get it going in the same direction as when it froze.
That said, like you I've had to go in the opposite direction on my R170 and got away with it.

Thanks for sharing and also thanks for the extra tips you gave in another thread. :tu:

I installed the SmartTop today in my 2008 R171 (pre-facelift).

I didn't have any problems with the installation, but it was a little tight getting the 3M Wire Taps installed and finding the correct red wire for the power. I wound up using my digital meter to make sure I had power to the module.

The floor mat is a little tight and a little difficult to push back to get to the wire harness box. Getting the clips off that puppy was a task.

I decided to install the USB Cable into the module and leave the computer end in an accessible place. That was a good decision as I had to drag out my laptop computer to reprogram the module as the programming using the steering wheel doesn't work. I'll have to call the Mods4Cars Technical Support Team to figure that one out.

I managed to get it programmed to the way I like it and everything works.

It took me about 3 1/2 hours to get it installed and buttoned up again.

I solved the programming via the Steering Wheel issue; the solution was to have the key in the "Accessory" position and not the "Full On" position. Everything now works as advertised. The Tech Support guys from Mods4Cars were very helpful and prompt; they got back to me in less than 24 hours. Thanks to those guys!

Discussion starter · #71 ·
Stephen and Sven very helpful
the instructions say accessory, no?

To enter programming mode, first make sure the key is not in the ignition lock and all doors are unlocked. Insert the key into the ignition lock and turn it to accessory position.

mods4cars product manual

Discussion starter · #73 ·
Take the poll?
See? That was not too bad!
All programmed now?
Max speed? etc?

Still playing with the settings. Set the moving roof operation to 60kmh (35mph). This was set at 0kmh to begin with. Bit scary when I first tried it. Left the other settings, such as double tap-windows & triple tap-roof, the same for now. I'll have closer look when the weather picks up. Loving so far... ? (just need to learn how fast to press the remote for it to register)

Discussion starter · #75 ·
thousand one
thousand two
thousand 3

Discussion starter · #77 ·
As long as it works :D

Hope to do mine this weekend.

My module is due to arrive tomorrow. I have printed off the instructions and will do as you say - read it time and again before starting. It also helps to have all the relevant tools ready.
Thanks for the tip!
I have installed a couple of R170, 5 R171 and a couple of R172 SmartTop's and have not had a problem with any of them. THE best mod you can do to an SLK.

If it's your first time, read the instructions several times, then a couple of times more. Check out the DIYs on the forum. On the R171 don't forget your towel (R.I.P. Douglas Adams).

My module is due to arrive tomorrow. I have printed off the instructions and will do as you say - read it time and again before starting. It also helps to have all the relevant tools ready.
Thanks for the tip!
UPDATE: Just over an hour to fit with the help of a friend and fellow R172 owner who now wants one for himself!

Read the instructions and additional help on the forum, re-read and then check once more, and all will be well.

The disconnection of speaker wires wasn't a challenge after reading the various posts, the park assist cable was a bit more troublesome but the rest was very straightforward.

Pre-programming was the key to quick results and the plastic trim removal tools are essential.

Now to impress the neighbours!

61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.