Mercedes SLK World banner

SmartTOP questions

• I have a R170 SmartTOP and had no issues installing it

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • I have a R170 SmartTOP and had issues of my own fault but got it working

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I have a R170 SmartTOP and had hardware/software issues that needed replacing

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I have a R170 SmartTOP and used the Slkworld DIY by thunderstorm

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and had no issues installing it

Votes: 80 33.8%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and had issues of my own fault but got it working

Votes: 18 7.6%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and had hardware/software issues that needed replacing

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • I have a R171 SmartTOP and used the Slkworld DIY

Votes: 52 21.9%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and had no issues installing it

Votes: 59 24.9%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and had issues of my own fault but got it working

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and had hardware/software issues that needed replacing

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I have a R172 SmartTOP and used the Slkworld DIY by White Rabbit

Votes: 28 11.8%
  • Eddy Installed Mine :)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Woolly Installed Mine

Votes: 1 0.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Was your self installed Smarttop successful or not?

28K views 106 replies 57 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I have installed a couple of R170, 5 R171 and a couple of R172 SmartTop's and have not had a problem with any of them. THE best mod you can do to an SLK.

If it's your first time, read the instructions several times, then a couple of times more. Check out the DIYs on the forum. On the R171 don't forget your towel (R.I.P. Douglas Adams).

#5 ·
Should modify the poll to include "Did Eddy install it?"

#7 ·
The DIY on the forum is brilliant and is the reason i had not a problem with my install.

The extra notes for RHD were just what i needed to show the differences.

Thanks to everyone who helped in the DIY.

Follow the DIY instructions and you can't go wrong.

#8 ·
I have the first generation smarttop from Piecha, came with instructions written in German. Even if it was in English I don't think it'll help. The forum members help tremendously, this was before the diy thread IIRC.

#9 ·
Ill post when I've done mine ..!

I'm expecting it to not be too taxing ..

Cheers
Sean

#10 ·
If you screw up, pm me and I will correct your response(s).
just let me know what you accidently did and what the right response(s) should be.

Again, you can have 2 answers if you include using the forum diy guide.

Remember, if you mess up with the canbus cover, as an example, that is NOT a smarttop hardware issue.

#11 ·
Reactions: jbanks15
#12 ·
Hey Waabbit! I gave you credit already in the smarttop group buy thread!!

I edited the poll question to give credit for our diy makers

#14 ·
..... I edited the poll question to give credit for our diy makers
Don't really have to do this in my case. I'd rather be "silent" or "unsung" :)

#13 ·
The diy from here (Whiterabbit - thanks) combined with the official instructions made the install sooo easy. I was reluctant to do it myself initially, but was given so much confidence and encouragement here to do it myself and I'm so glad I did.

I've done it 3 times now and not broken a thing! I'm even convinced that I have removed a creaking noise that I was getting from the roll bar cover before I started!

#15 ·
as you wish!

#16 ·
Update - i installed mine hassle free but ...........

Today i tried to enable the chirp feature and although it works on the horn it doesn't work with the alarm siren......

Will get in touch with mods4cars and see what they say.

#18 ·
Update - i installed mine hassle free but ...........

Today i tried to enable the chirp feature and although it works on the horn it doesn't work with the alarm siren......

Will get in touch with mods4cars and see what they say.
Mine is the same, although my Alarm uses the horn too if I activate the chirp in the standard system settings, so don't think it's a design fault with the SmartTOP module, just following the default behaviour of the car.

#20 ·
MrPix has a r172, not a r171 - the r172 chirps with the horn:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext/support/manuals/mercedes/STHFMZ2/operation_v1.3x/en.php

Function 8 - Horn Chirps ( *0=OFF / 1=LOCK / 2=UNLOCK / 3=BOTH )
This function can be set to either beep the horn briefly when locking the vehicle, beep the horn twice briefly when unlocking or both (single beep for lock, double beep for unlock).
(in the end I disabled the horn chirp on lock as I couldn't live with it enabled)

#22 ·
MrPix has a r172, not a r171 - the r172 chirps with the horn:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext/support/manuals/mercedes/STHFMZ2/operation_v1.3x/en.php

(in the end I disabled the horn chirp on lock as I couldn't live with it enabled)
yes I have a R172.... I did not know which model year nimbusgb had as he doesn't specify in his immediately visible profile... realised he has a R171 by delving in to his full profile. Sorry for the confusion.

I enabled it for one time than disabled it as I don't want to wake everyone up with the horn blowing!

#21 ·
On mine the horn peep works, with the fuse sapped but either way the alarm chirp doesnt work.

I like to know the doors have locked but the horn peep is just too loud.

#23 ·
I've installed two. One in my SLK280, and another in my SLK55. Both went perfectly fine and still work. Used the instructions that came in the box.

#24 ·
I have the same experience: SLK280 initially with the first generation SmartTop (draws more power than the later generation), then transferred this same module to the SLK55, removed the first generation module later and gave it to a forum member, installed a later generation SmartTop v3.xx, removed this much later and gave it to another forum member, now running the SmartTop v3.5x (a generation before the latest smaller and more streamlined-looking SmartTop) on the 55, because I wanted to use the fog-lamps as DRL's.

Reactions: LIL DON SLK
#27 ·
Got mine installed last week. Had a problem with windows only going down on first 3 pushes, then having to push 3 more times for top to go down. SLK board tried to help, but we cold not figure out the problem after many tries at different things. E-mailed mods4 cars and after a couple of e-mails back and forth, the problem was the settings with my key remote. I have it set to unlock only the driver door with one push and unlock both doors and trunk with two pushes. Which means I have to hit my button 4 times to get the top to go down with my smart top instead of only 3. Can fix it by programing my key remote to unlock all doors and trunk with one push. But I am going to leave it like I have it, I just have to push it 4 times to get top and windows down. :tu: :tu:
Thought I wold tell my story in-case anyone else runs it to this problem.

#34 ·
That's right.. bump that count up another one!!!Y)

#35 ·
No problems with the install other than trying to contort myself into positions to undo the Torx screws under the dash to gain access to the headlight switch (RHD), and secure the earth wire to the bolt near the hood release. If you are installing on a RHD, make sure you have a deep 10mm socket before you start. Big smile :) when I got the timing right, first time, to open the lid. Great addition to the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.