Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching high and low for a 350, and may have found one!

http://www.autoaction.biz/used/Mercedes-Benz/2007-Mercedes-Benz-SLK350-e2183cfc0a0a006401db52c88d2dd365.htm :burnout:

The original MB 4yr/80000km runs out in May 2011, which will only be two or three months of driving. As this will be my first MB, and due to the complexity of the SLK, I'd like to have an extended warranty, but I'm being told that's not possible because I'm buying from a third party (independent) dealer.

Any comments or experience in this area?

Alternately, does anyone have any experience with third party warranties in Canada?

Thanks in advance. :tu:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow!!!! Nice ride, you should not have included the link...... I might be tempted to snatch it up from under you...............

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I think you will find that dealers are glad to sell you an after market warranty...this is a big profit center for them. Some can be direct purchased, but be sure to shop around as price and coverage vary widely.

I have owned several luxury cars with aftermarket warranties and I've always at least "broke even"......one paid for itself 3X over. Others will say they are a waste of money......guess insurance is always wasted money...until you have a major claim.....it just works that way. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gregg...who have you used in the past.

Will, probably next week after I get back from FRAnkfurt/Mainz. Got the carfax today and it had a "minor" prang on the left front corner. If I like it, it will definitely be taken to a visit to the nearest MB dealer (any recommendations from anyone in YUL) to see what was repaired/replaced and to check for any outstanding codes. I'm going to ask one of the local MB service reps if he'll run the VIN to see what pops up on their service history.

This one has come closest to my budget vs US models, though I still have to have it safetied in Ontario even after a Montreal MB dealer looks it over. What an asinine country sometimes...

PS I've sent a copy of your icon to the Flames and the Oilers...and WJ! :bannana:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey, I read in the email you sent me that the car was a lease return from Ontario. He also stated given that fact you would not require the out of province inspection. I just saved you a few bucks............................ Guess you owe me a beer!!!!

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I think a good place to start looking for an extended warranty is the place your most likely to have the car serviced. My MBZ dealer sold me a great bumper to bumper full coverage policy for 2K and they eat the deductible for every repair. Includes everything but tires, battery, wiper blades.

They use only MB new parts and it even includes a loaner car. There is a good mark up on these so be sure to negotiate. I figured at 2K....one or 2 out of warranty repairs and I'm golden.

There are some good websites regarding what to look for...the devil is in the details. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gregg...no fair teasing! What company is your warranty with and 2k over what period of time? Would also appreciate links to the websites you are refering to.

Will, at least the Habs are winning this year...poor Sens! Yes, you're right he is suggesting that an inspection would not be necessary - I wonder if that's because it hasn't be registered in the belle province yet. Home overnight from LHR and heading over to FRA tomorrow...perhaps next week I'll drag the CFO out for a look (an all day event 310km each way through Montreal).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be very wary of the "aftermarket" warranties. Some stipulate in verrrrry tiny writing that they can use used or reconditioned parts at their discression. Do a google search and read the reviews...good information to have

1 - 12 of 12 Posts