Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered 1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter #1
2 unrelated problems, but not worth a thread for each!

Anyway, my project SLK came to life yesterday - passed the MOT just needing handbrake adjusting and an advisory for being a bit crusty underneath. Result!

Anyway now I've finally been able to drive it, there's a few things popped up

First - warm starts it seems to struggle with. Cold is fine, and hot (eg turn it off and start a minute later) is fine too. When its warm, eg sat for an hour, it turns over quite a few times before firing. One of the repairs I had to do to bring her back to life was a new fuel pump, wondering if that might be the culprit... its a chinese knockoff and VERY loud (with the roof up you can hear it droning underneath you when the engine is running). Anything else on these that can cause warm start issues?

Secondly the air con. It had 0 gas in it so I asked the garage to see if it would hold pressure and gas it up if it did. They were surprised to find it held pressure and filled it up - when I picked it up, I heard the compressor click and got the familiar musty "air con thats not been used for 5 years" smell from the vent followed by warm air. Checked it when I got home, AC compressor not turning and no gas in the system again. So its not a gradual leak, it was sealed and then very suddenly lost all the refrigerant - which would point away from things like holes in condenser etc. In the past, I've had this exact thing and its been a hose - when it sits at a certain angle it's sealed but when it flexes as you go over a bump, it opens up a hole and dumps all the refrigerant. I cant be bothered doing much troubleshooting on it, but are there any common issues that might cause this?

Thanks all!

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
First thing I'd do is bin the Chinesium Pump, that is very very likely your issue.

Buy a New MB or very good non Chinese (like Bosch) or even good used MB Pump and Filter ..................

These Pumps and Filters have built in Valves and the like to regulate fuel pressure ;)

On MB Cars A/C, Condenser Rads are usually the common cause culprit, especially in UK, hopefully the guy who gassed it did the job properly and put the dye in, so search around with a UV light to find the leak source.

HTH,

Registered 1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yes i thought so, I bought the car as a super cheap non runner so didn鈥檛 want to spend loads on a pump if it wasn鈥檛 going to run. It鈥檚 got a brand new Bosch filter in it so I might see if I can get a proper one from a breakers.

id have started looking at the condenser normally if it wasn鈥檛 for the fact it held gas when they did it, if it was a solid metal part that鈥檚 failed rather than a flexible one, it would surely not hold any pressure at all... will call and ask if he put the dye in it but not sure the car is worth the cost of a new condenser!

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
I find in UK, due to corrosion, you can gas 'em and they only have the tiniest leak, then very shortly afterwards the gas under pressure just blows them right out, Im not a gambler, and I'm not saying definitely in your case, but I'd bet it is the Condenser Rad ;)
You could always put gauges on it and see if it actually has lost the gas, if not could be a faulty Pressure Sensor, but unlikely if the Compressor was running when they first gassed it ;)

I bought Nissens Condenser Radiator for mine, circa 拢60 ;)
Nissens Radiators are OK I get them from my factors, if they aren't bashed in the box when they arrive, then I've had no trouble so far, and I've been using them for many years now ;)

Re the Chinese Pump, you're actually lucky it did run ;)

I would change the Filter for another Bosch at least, personally I only use MB Filters as they are so critical to the way the Engines run, it's likely that bits of noisey Chinesium Pump are in it now ;)

HTH ;)

Registered 1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes good point, I hadn't thought of it like that.

There's definitely no gas in it, dont ask me how I know.... it DEFINITELY didnt involve giving the charge port a quick poke with a screwdriver, promise. Will see if there's obvious damage to it, I might be tempted to swap it if I can do it cheaply enough

Good point on the pump - I've been avoiding going to MB for anything as I fear if I turn up in a slightly rusty R170 I'll be asked politely to leave! But the bosch in ECP was only 7 quid so might grab a pump from a breakers and a new bosch pump. The one I got is "Osias" which seemed to have quite good reviews... still, I'll treat it as a diagnostic and move on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts