Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals
I'm after a collapsible wheel and tyre combo for a 2014 R172. I believe the MB part number is A1724005800 . Please let me know if you have one to sell and you are in the UK. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Hi guys and gals
I'm after a collapsible wheel and tyre combo for a 2014 R172. I believe the MB part number is A1724005800 . Please let me know if you have one to sell and you are in the UK. Many thanks
I found this wheel and tyre on the Internet https://www.greenautomotivecomponents.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=24675&search=172+wheel after doing a search when you originally asked a couple of days ago whether a Space Saver would fit your car.. It looks like the company sell salvaged parts. It also looks from the picture that it has not been used and it is priced at £104.95 ( not sure if that includes VAT and postage and how this price compares with a dealer). As @dbgrn stated (You should also check whether you need different size bolts for the space saver spare too). You will also need to be able to fully deflate the space saver after use so you can get it back in the boot. The Mercedes "Valve Removal Tool" for use with the space saver is Part Number A0005810466. If it is anything like the R171, the space saver is a very tight fit even without any air in it.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
just a quickie

and not disparaging anyone's goods for sale. The spacesavers have a shelf life of about 10 years, give or take, by which time the special rubber will have hardened so much that the tyre won't inflate. So if buying used, check the age of the tyre, and think hard about buying anything nearing that 10 year threshold. £105 spent on a tyre that won't inflate, is more money wasted than £250 ( probable dealer price for a brand new one) that does inflate.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
and not disparaging anyone's goods for sale. The spacesavers have a shelf life of about 10 years, give or take, by which time the special rubber will have hardened so much that the tyre won't inflate. So if buying used, check the age of the tyre, and think hard about buying anything nearing that 10 year threshold. £105 spent on a tyre that won't inflate, is more money wasted than £250 ( probable dealer price for a brand new one) that does inflate.
Your point about shelf life is very valid. The advert looks to be for a space saver from a 2012 SLK R172.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great find-I have emailed the seller to ask about price and if it includes VAT and what the delivery charge is. Agreed, an old tyre would be useless, however this is only four years old. Thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
the only real test is try and blow it up

bear in mind the max pressure is 36 psi. which is the operating pressure. Before you haul it out and start pumping, try a touch test. the rubber should feel really soft to the touch, much more so than a normal tyre. you should be able to squeeze it and push it around a bit. If the rubber doesn't 'give' to firm pressure from your fingers, it's probably past it.

Mine most definitely was at 14 years and never touched by human hand. When i compared it to the new one I bought, it's like chalk and cheese, a runny Camembert at that.*:nerd:

*other soft cheeses are available for comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for all your help guys. I have now bought the wheel from the link above. It potentially has six years life left in it if it's a 2012 at 4 years old. Great find..Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all your help guys. I have now bought the wheel from the link above. It potentially has six years life left in it if it's a 2012 at 4 years old. Great find..Thanks

I did buy the wheel last night, but the seller has just refunded me as someone came in, in person yesterday and bought it. The seller was very honest and fair and is trying to source me another. So, I'm still on the look out for one.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I did buy the wheel last night, but the seller has just refunded me as someone came in, in person yesterday and bought it. The seller was very honest and fair and is trying to source me another. So, I'm still on the look out for one.
I have just looked at my manual (2010 R171) and this is what it says:
- Replace the tyres after six years at the latest, regardless of wear. This also applies to the spare wheel.

I can only find the American version of the (2012 R172) manual and this is what it says:
-Replace the tires after six years at the latest, regardless of wear. This also applies to the spare wheel/emergency spare wheel.

My spare wheel is 6 years old so I have just ordered an MB Tirefit Kit.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
well, i just had to look at mine as well

and blow me if the r170 manual only tells you to replace old or damaged tyres, w/out speccing what an old tyre is, and natch, it makes no mention of the 'special' rubber quality on the space-saver.

I didn't just make the 10 year period up. It was a culling of all the info I could find here from fellow-travellers, and from grilling the parts chaps at my local dealers.

I keep meaning to turn my 'old' one into a coffee-table. I will do it one day.:nerd:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts