Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would have a change from my usual Pirelli tyres and chose Vreidstein Ultrac Vorti for my R172 SLK55 AMG. Bad choice :frown:.

My mpg (UK gallons) has gone down from 35 / 36mpg on a long run, say 50 miles plus, has gone down to 27 / 28mpg, with the cruise control set at 70mph, and round town I am lucky if I can get 20mpg. Can't wait for next tyre change.:td:

At this rate I won't be able to keep the 55:tazz:the choice is petrol or food.:crying:

·
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did due diligence by going on some of the German tyre test reports and it got a good write up, near the top in most categories except aquaplaning. So it seemed to be a reasonable replacement for the factory Pirellis, big mistake. :crying:

How is your son doing, in the Yorkshire First Team yet?

Have to say thats a tyre that i have never considered. What made you choose it?

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,439 Posts
A 20% increase in fuel consumption just by using another brand of tires? That's an awful lot, never heard of such a large difference.
Sure that it can't be anything else? Same size as the previous ones? Tire pressure correct? Correct fitted, i.e. not inside out?

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
Did due diligence by going on some of the German tyre test reports and it got a good write up, near the top in most categories except aquaplaning. So it seemed to be a reasonable replacement for the factory Pirellis, big mistake. :crying:

How is your son doing, in the Yorkshire First Team yet?
He is 14 now, growing like a weed and progressing through the age group Yorkshire schools cricket. :)

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti | UK top tyres rated | Auto Express

Vortis came 8th on this test above Pirelli Pzeros.

·
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not good is it:frown:

I checked on relatively long runs, say 100 mile round trip, several times, (Teesside to North of Newcastle) to make sure engine is warm and drove at a steady 70 on cruise control on the A19, which is gentle rolling hills. and over the A66 from Teesside to Penrith. I really struggled to even get the 27 - 28 mpg. I notice that in the Auto Express link that Ram has posted that they say the rolling resistance is high, but they only got a 5% reduction in mpg.

A 20% increase in fuel consumption just by using another brand of tires? That's an awful lot, never heard of such a large difference.
Sure that it can't be anything else? Same size as the previous ones? Tire pressure correct? Correct fitted, i.e. not inside out?

·
Registered 2004 SLK200 KOMPRESSOR
571 Posts
Try to get a set of different wheels, make a swap and test. 20% (I didn't check the match!) is impossible unless you have square wheels like those:

I think that your tyres have fuel efficiency mark "E".

"The difference between an A rating and a G rating could mean a reduction in fuel consumption of up to 7.5%."

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.