Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi does anyone's R172 specific only can display the voltage in normal menu, as in scroll through?

1. Asking for R172 so if it exists I am searching the data card code for it.
2. Not interested in service or engineering mode display, etc. I want a feature, if it exists to be able to be access whilst driving like the the way you would the trip meter for example.
3. Reply facts pertaining to this car I drive only thanks in advance.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it is more and more looking like an external option, unfortunately if there is no standard option, so ridiculous as you can defiantly access it in service mode, so it can be physically done, we just need some brilliant coder to crack the dash.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The MercedesMe app, connected via a dongle on the OBC port, reports voltage..
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately you information is not at all relevant to what I need.
The Mercedes app does not connect to in the SLK R172 I drive.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
632 Posts
The Mercedes app does not connect to in the SLK R172 I drive.
I used that before, but I found it less interesting (the app that is). I instead use "Torque". It can give you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you could possibly need :).
You can customise what to see on it's "Dashboard(s)" and I have one for fuel consumtion, one for temps, one for revs, temp etc..

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,983 Posts
Keeping an eye on the voltage is useful, but agree it's not available in the standard menu...
Pressing a few buttons before starting the engine can bring up this display:
Automotive design Purple Vehicle Motor vehicle Font

I've also used one one these, but have to be careful as some of these knock out the radio signal due to poor design...
Vehicle Automotive design Plant Motor vehicle Gear shift

This is what I'm currently using, which includes fast USB charging which is also useful.
Though this conversion does have some caveats, but does look neater and allows the cubby hole cover to be closed:
Plant White Motor vehicle Vehicle Light

·
3,983 Posts
I used that before, but I found it less interesting (the app that is). I instead use "Torque". It can give you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you could possibly need :).
You can customise what to see on it's "Dashboard(s)" and I have one for fuel consumption, one for temps, one for revs, temp etc..
Actually, think I've seen an eBay screen that plugs into ODBII socket and display various info like that..???

Edit: And a quick Google search:
Font Rectangle Electric blue Output device Screenshot

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, think I've seen an eBay screen that plugs into ODBII socket and display various info like that..???
Thanks Trev appreciate your ideas, but plugging into the OBD is not what I am after I have many expensive and cheaper portable tools that can give me exact Voltage in the OBD post, your ash tray one looks good thought but mine has a cover over it!!

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
632 Posts
Yeah, I have a fairly cheap OBD2 adapter that I plug in to that socket and then connect to it over BlueTooth from both my (third-party Chinese) Head Unit AND the phone.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive design Purple Vehicle Motor vehicle Font

100% you are on the same wavelength, its that pre-start up I want to be able access during a drive, I'm sure that there must be a hack for it somewhere just seeing if any of of you guys knew.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
632 Posts
Mine's a R171/post-face lift and I have a special "AMG Menu" in the dash, with cooling temp and voltage. I use "Torque" to get everything else and to get it all in one place..

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
632 Posts
100% you are on the same wavelength, its that pre-start up I want to be able access during a drive, I'm sure that there must be a hack for it somewhere just seeing if any of of you guys knew.
Not sure what it is on the R172, but on mine I have two "hidden" menues. One on the original HU - "Engineering Mode" where I can get more details about the car and especially the HU, and one for the center dash, where I get all sorts of information, such as being able to put the car in "Dyno Mode" (no slip etc, but very fun :) ).

·
3,983 Posts
Would need someone with some clever Mercedes Programming skills....
Calling @i860 for input on this thread...?

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plant White Motor vehicle Vehicle Light

This looks to be an awesome option until I can crack the dash, but would you believe mine has a spring loaded cover that would snap shut over it!! Just my luck!!!
I might see if I can remove the trap door without it breaking to replace it later or I'll try find something small and similar that has a slight shoulder to keep the trap door open. I really like yours it looks awesome!
I seen a few that look really bulky and if used cannot shut the sliding door over it.
Worst case I can just open the trap door when I need to see the voltage, might be good in the dark as I can still leave the compartment door open.

·
3,983 Posts
Mine's a R171/post-face lift and I have a special "AMG Menu" in the dash, with cooling temp and voltage. I use "Torque" to get everything else and to get it all in one place..
My Face Lift R172 AMG has the "AMG Menu" - But no voltage... (I reckon MB don't won't owners to see how badly there modern Stop/Start cars are charging...)
Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Plant

(Just need @i860 to change the km/h to temprature (y) )

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure what it is on the R172, but on mine I have two "hidden" menues. One on the original HU - "Engineering Mode" where I can get more details about the car and especially the HU, and one for the center dash, where I get all sorts of information, such as being able to put the car in "Dyno Mode" (no slip etc, but very fun :) ).
Hi Turbo, thanks for that, unfortunately I have replaced my original LCD with a much bigger touch screen with CarPlay, so although I can use this touch screen to get back into the original cars menu it will take too many steps and then I would have to input the 3 button engineering sequence to get in all whilst driving so nope that wont do as well , but thanks for trying! Trust me over engineering this project is the easy way out! I'm looking specifically for coding to make it simple in the long run.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Face Lift R172 AMG has the "AMG Menu" - But no voltage... (I reckon MB don't won't owners to see how badly there modern Stop/Start cars are charging...)
View attachment 605461
(Just need @i860 to change the km/h to temprature (y) )
On the ones I do drive I never use the Stop/start it drives me Crazy! I specifically bought my car without it!
On cars that do, at least you know its' charging properly and your batteries are healthy when the ECO is green, when it takes forever to go Green you know you got problems!!
Yeah agreed, the dash should give you options as to what to display, does full spec AMG R172 do this?

·
3,983 Posts
This looks to be an awesome option until I can crack the dash, but would you believe mine has a spring loaded cover that would snap shut over it!! Just my luck!!!
I might see if I can remove the trap door without it breaking to replace it later or I'll try find something small and similar that has a slight shoulder to keep the trap door open. I really like yours it looks awesome!
I seen a few that look really bulky and if used cannot shut the sliding door over it.
Worst case I can just open the trap door when I need to see the voltage, might be good in the dark as I can still leave the compartment door open.
The cubby hole cover is spring loaded, but should stay open or closed - "Fairly easy to change".....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts