Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm a soon to be SLK owner. Most likely a 2001 or 2002 320. I've been reading through many of your posts and they have been most helpful.

My son and I were having a discussion about headlights. He is insisting that there are HID headlights and Xenon headlights (non HID). So my first question would be is he correct?

I've run the VIN on a car I'm looking at and it says:

lamp unit: gas discharge lamp (ael)
xenon headlight (с 01.10.1993)

What does this all mean? What is (ael)? What does (c 01.10.1993) mean? Are these HID headlights?

Thanks much,
Steve

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
steve,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Welcome. True HID and xenons lights are the same. Many cheap lights for sale online are are branded as HID or xenons which they are not. HID stands for high-intensity discharge, a technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vapourised within the arc chamber. These lamps are formally known as gas-discharge burners, and produce more light for a given level of power consumption than ordinary tungsten and tungsten-halogen bulbs. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID burners relative to halogen bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.
Automotive HID lamps are commonly called "xenon headlamps", though they are actually metal halide lamps that contain xenon gas. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate light immediately upon powerup, and accelerates the lamps' run-up time. If argon were used instead, as is commonly done in street lights and other stationary metal halide lamp applications, it would take several minutes for the lamps to reach their full output. The light from HID headlamps has a distinct bluish tint when compared with tungsten-filament headlamps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.

Don,
Thanks for the description. That's pretty much what I've been telling my son. I was unable to make the links work to the wiki however. That would be handy to have.

Tslick,
I had a look at the option code list. It says:
"170 612 HEADLAMP-XENON R.H.TRAFFIC"

I'm guessing R.H. TRAFFIC means this car drives on the right (left side steering). I didn't know there was a headlight difference for right or left drive.

Steve

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from London via Paris!! Welcome a couple more folks, and post up your VIN, I'll pull your datacard for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.