Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Having met up with Col and the rest of the gang at their hotel, we set off down the pass towards Bormio. Whilst following Col we fell in behind yet another biker riding in the centre of the road not looking in his mirrors :frown:. Eventually Col made his move to pass him and I followed as the surprised biker now moved over. A few 100 metres and we came upon 3 rocks on the road. Col had passed over them and in the brief time I had available I decided I didn't want to risk going over it and maybe damaging Mabel's front bumper, under trays etc., so I made to go round the largest (another 1/2" would have cleared it) but unfortunately clipped it with my front tyre :surprise:. Luckily I found an area to pull off shortly afterwards and found I'd put a finger sized hole :crying: in the side wall of the tyre but, fortunately, hadn't damaged the rim :smile:.

·
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
After I'd removed the damaged wheel I fitted the space saver spare wheel and I tried to inflate it without success, due to it (I later found out) having lost the bond between the rim and the tyre. :frown:, RussL kindly offered to run the damaged one down to a tyre shop in Bormio where he managed to get the tyre changed for a used one. :smile: He returned with it and I was back on the road. :tu::smile: A big THANKS to RussL Y)
I then followed him down the rest of this spectacular pass into Bormio. :smile:

·
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Having left Bormio, Russ L and I headed to our B&B in Tremezzina. Arriving at Lake Como RussL leads the way along the side of the Lake. Passing through Santa Maria and Griante we made Tremezzina, where Russ tried to drive down onto the lake :grin:, before we made our way up through tight side roads to our digs overlooking the town and Lake. :smile:

·
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Day 6. Whilst the rest of the group took a boat trip across the lake and then lazed by their pool, RussL and I headed back to Bormio for Mabel to get her new tyre. As we were so close it seemed a shame not to take another run up and down the Stelvio Pass again. >:D

·
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Better late than never Russ. Thanks for posting those. :tu::smile:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts