Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is my first post. I Plan on buying a 2005-2006 slk55amg but I don't have patients on my questions . How Do I watch Movies And Drive In The SLK?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome Mihai88ro. If you update your profile (location), then members may be able to answer as the options, etc. is different in different continents. Some older Euro-spec COMAND (as long as the software has not been updated) may be able to do this.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah Eddy's right 05-06 models have the Engineering Menu available as long the software has not been updated, from this menu you can enable another hidden display and shut down / change the lockout triggers.

Whenever your car is put on the dealers computer this setting will change back to block you viewing TV in motion and if the software is ever updated this will be permanently blocked.

This only applies if you live in the EU or have an EU spec headunit, US headunits cannot play DVD movies.

Just for the record i don't think watching moves when your meant to be driving is a particularly clever idea, I'm not an expert but when i watch movies my eyes tend to focus on the screen but when i drive they focus on the road and short of taking one eye out and installing it into my hand i don't know how i could do both at the same time safely.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Probably more for the passenger on long trips would be my guess.:rb

SLKman:tu:

D

·
0 Posts
Not sure of his location so i won't make a blanket statement and say its illegal but in EU countries it is (and perhaps in the US also?) and your insurance will not be valid if they find out.

Also if this was a 4 door car and it was rear seat screens being talked about fine but its very hard not to get distracted by the images displayed on the screen when its playing back a movie (unless its a slow moving one)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
In the UK, it's 100% "bad" , and if you are found with a "front mounted" video display (defined as a system playing video images in where the driver would be able to see them) you will be declared as "at fault" in an accident situation. I don't know that it's actually "illegal" - ie a copper would ticket you for it - but I've been told that's the case.

In any event, I find it a bit silly to drive and watch something other than the road - but I've got gray hair, so...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks For all your Replies. I will Buy the car for the US and Sending It Back To my country Romania. Again Thank You All.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.