Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for any SLK drivers who play Forza Horizon 4, Project Cars2, or any other video games that involve high-performance cars: Do you believe that arcade/simulator video games will (1) improve, (2) degrade, or (3) have no effect on your street driving skills?

If you believe these games improve your driving skills in one way but degrade them in other ways please explain. For example, a video game might improve your hand-eye coordination because it forces you to react quickly when you are trying to avoid hitting another car, but it might also degrade your driving skills because it encourages you to drive at excessive speeds or drive on the sidewalk when you are trying to pass another car.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Arcade style racing games would have no effect or a detrimental one because they may train you to expect cars to be able to do things they cant such as cornering excessively fast without braking or apexing the turn.

But true sims can help certain things. All video games help hand eye coordination, but true simulation driving games can train you to steer into a slide when hydroplaning, slow down and apex a turn to accelerate on the exit, etc. This holds especially true if you have a proper feedback racing wheel for driving games and it has a strong physics simulation to train muscle memory when the rear end gets loose.

It's the same reason pilots spend hundreds of hours training on flight simulators. This is all assuming you havent turned down the simulation aspects to negate the physics algorithms in the game. There are a few extremely true to life racing sims. But even the mainline Forza games (not forza horizon) arent at the top of the list for the simulation faithfulness.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been told that the starting price for a high-quality driving simulator, such a CarSim, is about $20,000, and I’ve seen police driving simulators that were priced at about $90,000. If you had a wheel and a chair, could any of the driving programs that are marketed to the general public, such as Horizon 4, be used as a training aid? I was told that the Horizon 4 can function as a driving simulator, but most of the driving is done on the left side of the road.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Horizon 4 absolutely not. Even in its strictest settings its an arcade racer not a sim. High end sims can cost 10s of thousands, but some pretty damn good high end sims are available on PC for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Horizon 4 absolutely not. Even in its strictest settings its an arcade racer not a sim. High end sims can cost 10s of thousands, but some pretty damn good high end sims are available on PC for a fraction of the price.
I’m not familiar with modern computer-based games. If you are using a PC, can you use a wheel and pedals instead of a keyboard to control the movements? The last computer-based game I played was Doom, and the military was using it as a training aid.

If you can use a wheel and pedals, can you recommend a PC-based driving simulator that would have enough realism to be used as a training aid? According to the Internet, three of the most popular PC-based games are Assetto Corsa, iRacing, and Project Cars2—and I’m not familiar with any of these games.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Those are 3 of the best afaik, with AC likely being the most realistic. I do know Project Cars has a steep learning curve due to tire temps and conditions drastically affecting performance. And yes there are some extremely advanced force feedback wheel/pedal combos out there for computer-based players.

Honestly though even experienced drivers still have to learn a particular track in varying conditions, so while a good PC setup with wheel, pedals, and a good sim can train some muscle memory to a certain extent, theres no substitute for RL experience that is affordable for the general public (yet).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts