Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just had my new wheels mounted on my car and took it out and at 60mph there is a bad vibration. So, I took it back, the spin balanced everything again and when I took it out, same issue. Any thoughts? Tires were moved from my original rims to the new ones since they were practically brand new. New rims are Enkei PF01s 18x8 and 18x9. Tires are stock sizes.

Wheel weight went down from around 25lbs per wheel to 18lbs per wheel, but I didn't think that should cause a shake like this.

Any thoughts before I take it back to them yet again?

Thanks!
Dave.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,647 Posts
When was a wheel alignment done last (if ever) on your car?

·
96,647 Posts
had mine done at 4 years 63k

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the car two years and it hasn't been done. Up until today when the new wheels were installed it was driving great at any speed.

·
96,647 Posts
They might have knocked/put something out of alignment unknowingly

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
They might have knocked/put something out of alignment unknowingly
Alignment is a good idea to check out. I'd look for a Firestone Complete Auto Care close to you and get their lifetime alignment. Sometimes they have coupons on their site that can be used towards this service. Which tires did you get? At least post some pictures of the new wheels on the car!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Wheel weight went down from around 25lbs per wheel to 18lbs per wheel, but I didn't think that should cause a shake like this.
QUOTE]

I know this has been posted somewhere on the internet but did you get a chance to exactly weigh each front and rear SLK55 wheel? I'm torn between light wheels and the chunky replicas.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weight...

I didn't but I have them in my garage and will be glad to weigh them as soon as I get a chance to clean them up.

I'll post pictures this weekend.

As for tires, I just moved my Pirelli PZeros over from the stock wheels. 225 up front and 245 in the back. I plan to go wider next time around, but I want to lower things a little later this year first.

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,712 Posts
is the vibration through the steering wheel or more through the seat base as you are driving ? just trying to work out if its a front or rear problem.

I had a vibration on mine from the rear after having new tyres put on just before putting the car away for winter, when the car was stood it caused a out of balance problem ( flatspot) on the new rear tyres .when I put it back on the road it the had the vibration . After having them rebalanced it was ok for a few miles then came back, i had them re done and the tyre fitters asked me to run the car for a week even if the vibration came back ( and it did) and then go back. They did them again i have never had the problem again.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
I had difficulty with one set of tires being so out of round they could not be balanced properly, however you are saying these are tires you have previously used and were OK. I also had a set of winter tires that had to be balanced twice before it was done right. Since you have done this twice also I would recommend an alignment. Perhaps the technician could join you on a quick road test.

Gordon

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
296 Posts
I had the same problem with a brand new V-Class. Turned out the front wheels were buckled. The dealer was useless so I took it Tyremen in Hull for on-car balancing. Only took them a few mins to diagnose the problem.
Mark

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,712 Posts
QUOTE=Mark999;1334721]I had the same problem with a brand new V-Class. Turned out the front wheels were buckled. The dealer was useless so I took it Tyremen in Hull for on-car balancing. Only took them a few mins to diagnose the problem.
Mark[/QUOTE]

:hijacked: sorry. hows life with the 350 mark ? :burnout:

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
296 Posts
Hi Frogfoot,
fantastic with the 350. the V-class experience really put me off Mercs for a while. Need to get a few longer runs in.
Mark

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resolution and pic

So, turns out the wheels come with centering rings and the installer decided to leave them off and not tell me because they didn't fit. Once this was realized and we got the right ring all is good with the wheels. Quick snapshot below.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a very slight vibration issue also, its at low speeds at like 20-40 KPH .. i feel it on the wheel.

Happened after I put the car in to change all the fluids and sparkplug. Appeared like 1-2 days after. Any ideas?

·
Registered
274 Posts
we had this with aftermarket wheels on our z3 the hub was about a cigarette paper thickness smaller than the centre bore of the wheels and with new tyres vibrated like mad got a set of spigot rings pushed onto the hubs like driving a rolls Royce after. people don't realise the car has to sit on the hubs the wheel nuts are just to keep the hubs and wheels together if the wheels are loose on the hubs its dangerous

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.