Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've searched around to see if anyone has had a similar problem as mine but I don't see anything.. My 1998 Mercedes Benz slk230 will idle very nice and smooth but when I rev the engine up to about 3,500rpm and let the pedal go it has this weird vibration that will literally shake the entire car until it gets back down to around 1,700rpm and it actually also does it when I drive it too at first I thought it was the tires but I thought it couldn't be since I have 4 brand new tires on and they're balanced and everything which is what caused me to rev the engine in park at a standstill and I'm thinking maybe the motor mounts or transmission mount but I don't see how it could be the tranny while in park? I also don't think it's the flex disc either unless the driveshaft spins when the cars in park? I don't want to just be a part changer so any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for any information!! :smile:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,403 Posts
Not a mechanic: --->motor mounts.

Can you post a vid of that (engine) vibration in "park"? Need a helper to do this.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts
go to youtube
search motor mounts
compare

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,986 Posts
Hi,

My Money is on Trans or Motor Mounts, I always do the Trans one first, relatively cheap from MB, then the more expensive Motor Mounts if Vibe is still present.

Motor Mounts faulty can be proved conclusively by placing a wood block under the sump, and carefully use a trolley jack to lift the motor about 1/2" to 1" then do the Rev in P test.

Don't use cheap EBay Mounts unless you want to be doing them every year or sooner ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

My Money is on Trans or Motor Mounts, I always do the Trans one first, relatively cheap from MB, then the more expensive Motor Mounts if Vibe is still present.

Motor Mounts faulty can be proved conclusively by placing a wood block under the sump, and carefully use a trolley jack to lift the motor about 1/2" to 1" then do the Rev in P test.

Don't use cheap EBay Mounts unless you want to be doing them every year or sooner ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave
That's actually a good idea! I haven't thought about holding the motor up while revving it.. I'm planning on changing all 3, the 2 motor mounts and the transmission mount. Do you or anyone know if those lemforder ones are good? They're quite a bit more expensive than the 30 dollar motor mounts that are on Ebay but I am interested in buying either OEM or the best aftermarket ones so that I don't have to do it again to soon.

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
15,040 Posts
My Money is on Trans or Motor Mounts,
Every MB I owned the trans mount was the 1st one that went bad. I also would check the tranny mount 1st. If the motor mounts and tranny mount look good check for a stuck potatoe in the exhaust pipe.:grin::grin:

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
15,040 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts