Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a weird one this, but every now and then, and only for a few seconds, there is a very strange sound that comes from the passenger side air vent - I haven't managed to record it, but it sounds like someone has shoved a kid's kazoo into the vent :grin:

Local mechanic has cleaned a couple of leaves out, and has put a camera down and can't see anything else that might be causing it - it does seem to change "pitch" when the fan speed is changed, but other than that I haven't a clue what's causing it - anyone got any ideas or are there any "usual suspects" for bizarre vent noises on the SLK?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Since it changes pitch(?) when the fan changes, I'd guess there is still something in there vibrating with the "wind".

Not a bearing noise based on what you've described.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it changes pitch(?) when the fan changes, I'd guess there is still something in there vibrating with the "wind".

Not a bearing noise based on what you've described.
That was my initial thought, but the pitch would also change if it was a noisy fan changing speed - only ever comes from that vent though and I didn't think it had an independent fan for it/

·
Super Moderator
24,885 Posts
As the fan is the same side (under glovebox) I wonder if something is trapped there?

Open bonnet and I think you have to remove battery cover (3 x 90 degree clips).

You will see a small letter box opening.
This leads to fan and is notorious for introducing debris.

There's a diy for making a mesh cover,

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Keep in mind you can't see much when the "fresh air" flap is closed - so while you're inspecting, set this knob to "fresh air" rather than "recirculate". Also note this flap moves when the key is first turned on.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
My old R171 had a very annoying noise caused by what turned to be a leaf in fan, behind the battery box... :|

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, he has already cleared all the leaves and crap out from there, hasn't fixed it though - he is going to fire some high pressure air through to see if that frees anything up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought we had it, after the high pressure treatment he found part of a chocolate bar wrapper that was wedged near the motor, but on the way home the noise came back 😞

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
Gotta be more stuff in there.

BTW, cell phone emojis do NOT work here. You have to use the forum-supplied emojies found to the right of the box where you type your message (in ADVANCED mode).

Otherwise we get & # x 1 f 6 1 e ; (without the spaces). :tu:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts