Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned from a group of seniors late last night that they are going to Diamond Valley Lake in Riverside today to view wildflowers.

I then thought we could try this tomorrow:

April 9, 2017 Sunday

Meet at 9 am (prompt) at Costco Gasoline, 723 Center Dr, San Marcos, CA 92069 (near 78 and 15 junction): mainly because of fuel availability and adequate parking space before store opens.

We can meet at the far north end of parking lot just next to Costco Gasoline Station: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1371588,-117.1246325,345m/data=!3m1!1e3

Diamond Valley Lake website:http://www.dvlake.com

Plan is to go to Visitor Center first (open 10-4 on Sunday): 2325 Seal Parkway, Hemet, CA 92543, then hit the wildflower trail: http://www.dvlake.com/DVLTrailsMapFlower.pdf

Lunch: open to suggestions, could use Yelp to find nearby places.

Bring:
1. Appropriate clothing for short hike, unless people are up for a 6 mile hike or parts thereof and head back partway
2. Water (adequate supply)
3. Headgear, sunglasses, sunblock
4. Camera and associated gear, binoculars (if you have one)
5. Snakebite kit (if you have one) :grin:
6. good pair of walking shoes

Warning: I've never been to Diamond Valley Lake before and am open to people familiar with the place to be the pathfinder and guide.

From Costco waypoint to Diamond Valley Lake Visitor Center, we might take this leisurely route: north 15, east on 79, north on R3 (about 80 minute drive): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/723+Center+Dr,+San+Marcos,+CA+92069/2325+Searl+Pkwy,+Hemet,+CA+92545/@33.5460575,-117.1188862,10.2z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dbf4d43330f5dd:0x52647639855c97a9!2m2!1d-117.123189!2d33.1366306!1m5!1m1!1s0x80db657bf1f52095:0x96859e2a305a0d71!2m2!1d-116.9918353!2d33.7058179!5i1

(Check this no. 1 post often as info is subject to change as we try to pin down the details. This will be our first time and we will "play it by ear" as we go.
Appreciate inputs from folks that are familiar with the area.)

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a list to start (feel free to copy and edit the list):

1. etyu

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,924 Posts
(feel free to copy and edit the list):

1. etyu
2. Durkatlon

I'll send out a blast-PM to my list to see if we can rally some people at short notice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi guys! I was watching for this run, but unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow. I keep watching to try and hook up with you guys again - it's been a long time! Hope you all are well! David

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer, I'm going to the Long Beach Grand Prix tomorrow, otherwise I'd be up for this :/

Take pics :)
Hi guys! I was watching for this run, but unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow. I keep watching to try and hook up with you guys again - it's been a long time! Hope you all are well! David
We understand, it's very short notice.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
599 Posts
oh no.... wrong timing again.... I have a family obligation tomorrow. Would it be today or any other days I would have joined....

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Wish I could join, have a conference in LA tomorrow, need to get up at 5am to drive up there :(

Looking forward to the usual array of pictures!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Hope you guys are having a great day. My SLK is in the shop waiting for a new roof.

·
4,924 Posts
Great day with Eddy and Duane in the C63. We took off around 9am and took the backroads to Pala and then more backroads to Hemet. This is the route we took:

https://goo.gl/maps/w9h6rVggw7H2

The lake was beautiful with tons of flowers everywhere. And way more easy to get to than Gorman Hills for our little troupe.

Duane's C63 with nice carbon front lip that I now covet, a lot :D.

At the lake, flowers everywhere!

Little critters. We also saw various lizards and a big brown snake.

Duane and Ed, with snowy San Jacinto in the background.

Afterwards we went up the mountain to Idyllwyld for some pretty nice Italian food.

Great day, great driving, great conversation. Would do again :tu:.

Attachments

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a great and fun day today. Great weather: Sunny, cool with temperature in low to mid 60's.

Durk and I were a tad early and actually met at Starbucks nearby (Durk had parked at the designated spot at Costco Gasoline, San Marcus so attendees would know)

Two R171's at parking lot: it is obvious that one vehicle has been lowered with aftermarket suspension parts

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photos of native flowers:

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hills that surround the lake were full of flowers:

I still think Durk saw a rattlesnake as I've never seen him get so "excited" :grin:

Durk: Do you have the photo you took of the egret?

Some wider angle shots:

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had lunch at outdoor patio: Italian restaurant in Idyllwild. It was sunny but very cool refreshing crisp mountain air in the mid-60's. I forgot to take a photo.

It was around 2 pm then, as we took the scenic route from San Marcus to Diamond Valley Lake (entrance fee $11 per vehicle), and then another scenic route to Idyllwild for lunch.

Here are some food images however:

Hot Italian roast coffee, bread with spice and olive oil dip

Duane had the meat lovers panini with a touch of "veggie" on the side

Durk had the 3-meat Lasagna: beef, pork and ??? (I forgot the 3rd, but it could have been chicken or was it deer? :grin:)

My lunch was seafood with linguini and special sea-lover's marinara sauce. It was served nice and hot and at perfect temperature to enjoy the harvests from the ocean. Needless to say it was super yummy.

We'll try to do this again next year (presuming enough rainfall for wildflowers to bloom.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,228 Posts
Great location and shots.

Thanks for sharing.

One, tiny bit of jealousy that truly irks.
I hate having front plates on our UK cars.
Spoils the look, unless you have a decent private plate like Davie and his MY55AMG.

You guys are so lucky.

·
4,924 Posts
One, tiny bit of jealousy that truly irks.
I hate having front plates on our UK cars.
Spoils the look, unless you have a decent private plate like Davie and his MY55AMG.

You guys are so lucky.
I hear ya. In the US each state makes its own rules when it comes to this, and California actually mandates the front plate officially.

But the cops *mostly* have better things to do than to stop and ticket you, although in the city of Los Angeles proper, they tend to ticket quite a few parked cars for this offense.

In Orange County they truly don't care :tu:, and in San Diego it's a bit of a mixed bag. I got ticketed for it once down here. It is however a "fix-it" ticket, so after you fix it (which does not need to involve drilling holes in the bumper necessarily) you can take the plate off until next time basically.

I do still have 4 holes in the front from the previous owner, that I plan to fill at some point when I do the full front-end respray.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts