Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I visited the one-and-only etyu today at his house to pick up what hopefully will soon be my new front brakes :tu:. Thanks for your hospitality, Eddy, and the great parting gifts :).

On the way back I went back to the 74 (a.k.a. Ortega Highway) to scout out a cool little road which I had found by browsing ocmoto.com, to see if it'd be a candidate for our upcoming 9/28 run.

I'm not sure about adding it to the run because it has a lot of pebbles on it, meaning that we'd have to keep a lot of distance in order to prevent a repeat of Bleen's unfortunate windshield crack from the SD desert run. But it's certainly an option and if we did, it would come at the end of the run on 9/28. Let me know what you guys think.

This is certainly a fantastic road to do solo (not having to worry about beaning the person following you with a hailstorm of little rocks). The road as I drove it starts as a turn-off from Ortega, just East of Hell's Kitchen (a popular biker hangout). It's called Killen Rd here, although the street sign says something like Southern Divide or somesuch, I didn't quite get it.

The road soon turns into a single-lane two-way road, mostly not wide enough for cars to pass. Luckily it was extremely quiet, especially considering it was a Saturday. I only encountered two cars going the opposite way during the entire single-lane stretch. We maneuvered off to the side of the road where possible in order to let the other person pass. You do of course have to be conscious that a car may come around the corner at any moment.

Anyways, here is the Google map, and some pictures:
2) Lake Elsinore and the last loops of Ortega down below before it hits 15.
7) This is how narrow the road is most of the way.
6, 10) View of the trail in front and later behind me.

The rest are views and SLK pix :D. I didn't get a single new rock chip :tu:, but I got a speeding ticket on my way home :td:. Oh well...

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
If we do a leisurely drive and keep about 5-car-length behind each other -- maybe. Just need to be aware when there is a critical junction, i.e., left or right turn , so others don't get lost. This coming from one who's not good at reading maps.

I'll wait for others to chime in.

·
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a clip of this part of the road from 3 years ago. It was rough enough for a turn around. Hope they graded it since then.
It was a bit bumpy, but mostly you have to be careful for those "washes" that they grade into the road to control where water wants to pass over it. I took it easy and only managed to reach speeds of 50mph or above on a couple of very short segments. Mostly hovering around 25mph, breaking for the obvious washes and other dips. From that vid, it looks like you were going a bit faster :biglaugh:. Absolutely gorgeous scenery though. But yeah, I posted a tentative route for the 28th that doesn't include this section. We can decide later on if people are up for it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry to hear about the speeding ticket :( On the freeway? or on one of the proposed route roads?

The one lane road looks very scenic, but wow, it is very narrow for 2-way traffic. I don't like the idea of having to trust someone coming the other way is being responsible and safe, especially on a weekend.

The updated route with Ortega Hwy removed looks very good!

·
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ticket was on the freeway, less than 3 miles from my house, not on the proposed routes.

Yeah, with regards to running Killen Rd with the group, I thought it over some more and it's probably not a good idea. The logistics of having to pass a car coming from the other direction when there's 7 or 8 of us is interesting to say the least, since you cannot pass just anywhere.

Probably better to do solo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts