Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the dyno numbers showing the effect of heat on the engine, messed around and made the hood vents functional. Just 4-5 screws on the DS and some easy fittings on the PS. With the vents blocked off they were 75 degrees; removing the block offs they showed 112-120 degrees

I think this would be beneficial for a track day or if you drag racing. The engine took an extended amount of time to heat soak and IATs were lower initially.

As there are electronics and battery underneath I wouldn't run it through the car wash w/o, etc

Attachments

·
1,135 Posts
Strategically positioned louvres? Already suggested this on Dyno topic!

Maya ~ Tapatalk

·
1,135 Posts
Alternatively you could use a modified RHD battery cover and fit this in place of the blanking plate.

Maya ~ Tapatalk

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,873 Posts
I had a passenger "hot lap" in a Lotus Elan many many years ago and they had a switch on the dash board to keep the main cooling fan running continuously to stop it over heating due to heat soak during passenger change overs.....
(Bit more of a difficult fix on a R171 though..)

Nice. Where is the cover for your battery compartment?
I assume it was removed for heat testing purposes..?

But yes, with out the cover/scope that sits on top of the battery, the air that is being pumped into the cabin is partly from the engine bay :surprise:
Plus this cover "air cools" the car battery, which like humans, don't like getting to hot either...!!

·
1,135 Posts
I was thinking that since the battery is on the other side of LHD you could import a RHD battery cover. So you could protect the brake reservoir and electrics etc.

Maya ~ Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts