Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230K
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the UK we have a legally required annual vehicle inspection, thankfully my R170 passed after a last minute back tyre change. Some advisories appeared in the report, looking on thoughts on what aspects are worth fixing in the next 12 months.

- Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Front (rear bush)
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Nearside Rear
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Offside Rear
- Prop shaft flexible coupling slightly detoriated Central
- Wheel bearing has slight play Nearside Front
- Wheel bearing has slight play Offside Front
- Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perished Nearside

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,287 Posts
Advisories do not necessarily mean get it done asap.

Tyre might get you into trouble with the bobbies.
Brakes are important and those lines need inspecting thoroughly (did you chat to tester?).
Generally testers are happy to explain how bad and what needs doing asap and what can be left.
He/She has witnessed and recorded the issues. Best person to ask.

·
Registered 2001 SLK230K
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic was intending to discuss but we didn't get to it. I've scheduled a phone call next week to see the extent of the advisories. Things like wheels and brakes concern me too, keen to get such things sorted sooner.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,621 Posts
Hi,

Just my 10p worth ................

If ever I get any advisories they get done straight away. It is rare after I've MOT prepped a car, but we are all human and it is after all "all in the opinion of the tester" .

IMO the test is not strict enough and certain amounts of wear etc are permissable, whereas I like Customers and my own cars to have no play etc etc and be mechanically perfect.

I think by keeping "on top" of these things, you will avoid down time due to failures, and not end up with a long list of jobs to do before next Test, also have a much more reliable Car :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,619 Posts
Fix all the above as soon as posible.

Had my mot and the guy was very picky.

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Driver's view to the front outside the swept area of the windscreen wipers restricted by an obstruction mascot on dash (3.1 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Brake pedal wearing smooth anti-slip worn (1.1.2 (c))
Driver's view Items removed from driver's view prior to test (3.1 (a) (ii))
Engine bay covers obscuring some components
Under trays obscuring power steering components, brake pipes & fuel lines
Outer sill covers obscuring some prescribed areas

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,606 Posts
Agree that tyres & brake pipes are always No.1 priority....

Driver's view to the front outside the swept area of the windscreen wipers restricted by an obstruction mascot on dash (3.1 (a) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Brake pedal wearing smooth anti-slip worn (1.1.2 (c))

Driver's view Items removed from driver's view prior to test (3.1 (a) (ii))
Engine bay covers obscuring some components
Under trays obscuring power steering components, brake pipes & fuel lines
Outer sill covers obscuring some prescribed areas
That is picky, surprised the MOT tester didn't comment on the tiny bit of gravel on Your mats......!! >:D

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,619 Posts
Agree that tyres & brake pipes are always No.1 priority....

That is picky, surprised the MOT tester didn't comment on the tiny bit of gravel on Your mats......!! >:D
That was planted by him, I know their dirty tricks. :laugh:

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,621 Posts
Hi,

Having seen that Brake Pedal I think I would be looking for another Testing Station next year :wink:

Anal Sphincter or what lol !!

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,807 Posts
Fix all the above as soon as posible.

Do tell please >:D

·
Registered 2001 SLK230K
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
- Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Front (rear bush) - Observe again Dec 2019
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Nearside Rear - COMPLETE
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Offside Rear - COMPLETE
- Prop shaft flexible coupling slightly detoriated Central - Observe again Dec 2019
- Wheel bearing has slight play Nearside Front - COMPLETE
- Wheel bearing has slight play Offside Front - COMPLETE
- Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perished Nearside - Job for November 2019.

Advisory list is becoming shorter!

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
- Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Front (rear bush) - Observe again Dec 2019
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Nearside Rear - COMPLETE
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Offside Rear - COMPLETE
- Prop shaft flexible coupling slightly detoriated Central - Observe again Dec 2019
- Wheel bearing has slight play Nearside Front - COMPLETE
- Wheel bearing has slight play Offside Front - COMPLETE
- Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perished Nearside - Job for November 2019.

Advisory list is becoming shorter!

Out of curiosity what is the manufacture date on the tires? Cracking is a sign of oxidizing and of course we all scrub the hell out of them and treat them with chemicals to make them look good but that is not good for the rubber. As rubber ages it gets harder.
If your tires are looking good treadwise but 6 yr old or older the general consensus is replace them.
You will feel that centre prop shaft bearing hanger before it fails is my guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts