Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, not long had my slk r170 loving it so far, only problem I have is that I can't get the roof to close while the engine is running, I have to switch it off then turn ignition on to position 2 then it will close.

Tried using search function but was unable to find a solution.

Any info anyone can givd me on sorting this out will br greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,439 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,145 Posts
That 's the first I've heard those symptoms, very unusual indeed. When this happens, does the red light do anything?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
3 Posts
Hi, I had a similar problem to this it turned out to be the voltage regulator, when the engine was running the alternator was producing 18volts this prevented the roof from operating, as soon as the engine stopped the roof opened and closed fine, replaced voltage regulator & everything worked as normal hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts
Hey everyone, not long had my slk r170 loving it so far, only problem I have is that I can't get the roof to close while the engine is running, I have to switch it off then turn ignition on to position 2 then it will close.

Tried using search function but was unable to find a solution.

Any info anyone can givd me on sorting this out will br greatly appreciated.
Hi, I had a similar problem to this it turned out to be the voltage regulator, when the engine was running the alternator was producing 18volts this prevented the roof from operating, as soon as the engine stopped the roof opened and closed fine, replaced voltage regulator & everything worked as normal hope this helps.
And we have a winner, we hope.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks for the info, ill change the voltage regulator asap, and let you know how it goes
Before you do that, measure the voltage to make sure that's the issue. No point in throwing good money after bad. It is an unusual problem and I'm glad that Gamein1 posted as I wouldn't have thought of that. Let us know how it turns out. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
3 Posts
Yes as Mn car guy says check charging voltage before changing voltage regulator, should get about 14.7 volts max when reving the engine, anything above will create overvoltage and stop various functions working correctly (the roof been one of them). whilst the cost of regulator i'snt expensive about £20.00, taking the alternator off is a bit of a pain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.