·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Thanks for posting this.
It can help diagnose r172 vario roof problems.

The r172 vario roof design is similar to the r171's but quite a bit different in implementation.
Hopefully someone can find a r172 version of this document.

·
Registered
48 Posts
R172 Vario Roof Problem - Solved

Thanks for posting this.
It can help diagnose r172 vario roof problems.

The r172 vario roof design is similar to the r171's but quite a bit different in implementation.
Hopefully someone can find a r172 version of this document.
This, and a few other posts have helped me with my "challenge of the day".
Having dropped off my sun averse passenger this afternoon, the appearance of a little sunshine encouraged me to hit the remote to operate the Smart Top as I got back in. Just as it was finishing, it stopped with the roof folded down but with the boot (trunk) lid still vertical.

No matter what I tried, it wouldn't move so I drove straight home instead heading off on my planned excursion. Thankfully it's not too far and just as well with the boot lid pointing to the sky. Thankfully no police were encountered on the way either. Just an accompaniment of warning noises and white/red messages from the car systems. So what next?

• Step 1. I disabled the Smart Top to see it was to blame. No change.
  • Step 2. I tried every possible combo of ignition on/off/engine running buttons etc. No change.
  • Step 3. Time to search SLK World - R172 and then all models. Loads of info, but little directly relevant however many of the reference documents were of help in better understanding the electrical and hydraulic sub systems.
  • Step 4. Scratch head and analyse. A message about the luggage cover was showing intermittently but it had been put in place and the roof had completed most of the stowage, rather than not opening at all with the usual warning about replacing the luggage cover. Hmm. Perhaps it had dislodged while operating the roof? Wiring diagrams showed that the safety interlock switch S69/10 might be a possible cause.
  • Step 5. How the heck do I get to the switch S69/10 with the roof lying on top of it? More searching before a You Tube video on an SL500 with a different problem showed me that a 2 person lift could lift the vario-roof back into the closed position. So other half (thanks Diane) and I did that to discover that the cover had indeed become partially detached - enough to prevent the vario-roof system from opening. I put it back into place and 'voila' - all is back to normal. Phew! I'd been dreading the thought of having to contact the dealer.
So once more the SLK World website has saved the day. The Smart Top has been re-enabled and all is well for our trip North to Lincolnshire tomorrow.:smile:

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to hear!
I also had that happen....when I was demonstrating the SmartTop for our members at one of our annual meets...yes...embarrassing :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts