Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 slk350 r171. The problems started when I attempted to close the convertible hardtop. The top would not latch nor would the trunk close. I relieved the hydrolic pressure using an Alan key at the position behind the center console. I manually closed the trunk and put the top up. Then secured the top using an Alan key to tighten the emergency lock. I now need to get the windows to return to the normal position as if the roof was closed. I never intend to use the vario roof again. This has been a nightmare. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,192 Posts
Noah,

The roofs are are weak point. But they're pretty easy to understand once you understand how the switches work. If, during closing, the boot lid will rise, and the roof will rise, but the roof-to-windshield latches never latch, it's probably an issue with the switch in the A-Pillar. Either a broken pin (the black plastic pins) or a broken switch. Did you grease that area at all recently?

You're the first I've seen to swear off using the roof altogether (but certainly not the first to swear *at* their roof).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I have already attempted to sync the Windows. The rear quarter windows are still down completely and refuse to come up with the vario roof switch. Additionally they did not return to a closed position when I held down the cabin circulation button. I'm not opposed to manually rolling them up I just have no idea how to go about that.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
you can always try the battery reset

disconnect neg cable for a minimum of 30 mins
reconnect cable
reset clock and synch windows
try windows

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can always try the battery reset

disconnect neg cable for a minimum of 30 mins
reconnect cable
reset clock and synch windows
try windows

I'm not trying to sound like a bummer but I have attempted that as well. I am very hesitant to take it into a MB dealership because I do not want to spend the money. I much prefer to fix things myself.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
True but a man has to know his limitations, no?

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,253 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I have already attempted to sync the Windows. The rear quarter windows are still down completely and refuse to come up with the vario roof switch. Additionally they did not return to a closed position when I held down the cabin circulation button. I'm not opposed to manually rolling them up I just have no idea how to go about that.
Read this and the especially the WIS in post 11 step 19.1. It seems you need STAR to close the rear quarter windows, allthough there is a referral to a WIS descibing an emergency procedure to close them. If you need that I can take a look in WIS or maybe someone else can chime in who has that procedure at hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.