Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent purchase of 2008 SLK280. Had leak in front roof cylinder. Purchased new cylinder and hose and replaced. After installing the front latches would not work. Pump was full and top would go down and up but front latches would not open to let roof "lock/unlock". Being the GREAT troubleshooter I am (note the sarcasm) I lowered top partially and started to take it back apart. The top was not supported in the rear (wait for it....). Car started to beep and top started to drop in trunk. Of course I was not ready for it to close so I picked it up and manually forced roof back to nearly closed position. But you can see where I'm going... Front part of roof is completely forward but trunk partition is open/up and now top will not operate.

Dash says "top in operation" and "trunk partition open". Scanner gives code 9927 for "invalid roof position:. I can't get the trunk to close. Seems like there is still pressure holding trunk partition up even after releasing pressure at the pump. To make matters worse I can't get the top/roof to go back now. Is there a way to manually close the trunk partition? Is this a limit switch problem? Hoping I didn't bend something by pushing top back forward.

Where do I start to correct?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
99,523 Posts

·
99,523 Posts
to start is the trunk partition open or closed at the moment

@efair

·
99,523 Posts
it should be closed for roof operation...can you close it and eliminate one error
or you cannot get to it?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
29,533 Posts
First of all, do not force anything. Risk of twisting out of shape.
Try the manual opening as per the instruction manual and have someone to help you.
This helps things remain controlled and level.
From there, you may be able to reset (may need to disconnect the battery for at least 30 mins to clear codes. Otherwise, may need to get dealer to reset).

Secondly:
Thanks for joining SLKWorld.
We do require members to post an introduction.

See the link for help:
>>>How to<<<

Thanks for understanding,
Myk (SuperModerator)

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
29,533 Posts
Our roof guides:

·
99,523 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it should be closed for roof operation...can you close it and eliminate one error
or you cannot get to it?
I can’t close it. Seems to be stuck in that position. I suspect car is looking for top to be in the trunk at this point.

·
99,523 Posts
until the experts show up, sounds to me like the system is confused on whether it is opening or closing
so all hydraulics are ok,not leaking?
if so, try a battery reset to remove any electronic gremlins and make the system start anew

so roof is more open now or more closed would you say?

·
99,523 Posts
but either way, you need to close the trunk partition 1st

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,220 Posts
Let's get our terminology straight: The roof is what is over your head. The boot lid is what goes up and down in the back to make way for the roof. The trunk partition is the plastic thing that goes forward and back to ensure you don't lower the roof with too much luggage.

Can you restate your issues using these terms?

How can your roof be moving at all if your latches aren't opening and closing?

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
600 Posts
And there is nothing that holds the trunk partition - it's for manual operation only. There is only one elec switch in the trunk that the partition activates to tell the system if the partition is opened or closed.

P.S. I have the partition in my bedroom right now. Yes, I know it's strange, but I love my Green Beauty! :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts