Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
34 Posts
Looks like I am joining the failed VR club as well. After months of failing to open any further once it releases the front hinges I suspect it may be the micro switches S69/1, S69/2 and S69/3 but on a quick peek under the pulled back lining it seems I only have S68/1 on the right Hinge (Australian RHD Vehicle) is that correct?
Can anyone tell me how to get the roof lining off at the back of the panel as I obviously don't want to break anything.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
5,800 Posts
There is no S69/1 or S69/2 in an R171, and correct: only S69/3 on the right rotary.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
14 Posts
I am sitting in Upstate NY USA with similar issue (Top not working). In my case it I had ABS failure which I have traced to a squirrel nest in the engine compartment - chewed wires-only one two conductor wire going from harness to front driver (left) wheel sensor. My options are remove fuse box / SAM OR inside wheel housing shield to access repait area. Anyone know how to remove the inside wheel well shield?? Good luck, I hope the bill is not too onerous. ;( This may be my last option as well.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
1,126 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your input... omitted to mention that I asked the dealer if the fuses/relays had been checked and he said they were all OK... he was quite willing to let me have the car back should I wish to take a look for myself but all things considered I decided to leave it with him. He said they would start by checking the wiring (requiring a partial strip)... seats out, carpet back to check wiring/connections. Will keep this thread updated :rolleyes:
Did you do a battery reset by chance? I realize that is probably an over simplistic response but at times weird things happen.
My roof is still not 100% functional wrt window closing using the button but more functional than a stock R170 so I live with it now my fob operation is ok. This was after the car sat at my dealer in whom I have full confidence for 4 days with inputs from Toronto and Germany which tells us it ain't easy to fix these things when they go haywire.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
34 Posts
Managed to get the top off with a little prying and of course all 5 Clips stayed in the roof sheetmetal so that's another project for another day.

Yes you are correct efair only the one switch and with a few presses (must have been stuck through age and lack of use as I've had the car 11 years and done nuder 11,000 kms) it completed the cycle up and down several times just a little klunky re-engaging at the screen .

I thought I saw an article on greasing the hinges of the vario roof as well but can't seem to relocate it with a search - Anyone know where it is hiding?

Hopefully I will cycle it more often and see if this fix continues to hold. Ordered the Gummi Pflege so when it shows up I will treat the rubbers.

Thanks everyone

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
1,126 Posts
Managed to get the top off with a little prying and of course all 5 Clips stayed in the roof sheetmetal so that's another project for another day.

Yes you are correct efair only the one switch and with a few presses (must have been stuck through age and lack of use as I've had the car 11 years and done nuder 11,000 kms) it completed the cycle up and down several times just a little klunky re-engaging at the screen .

I thought I saw an article on greasing the hinges of the vario roof as well but can't seem to relocate it with a search - Anyone know where it is hiding?

Hopefully I will cycle it more often and see if this fix continues to hold. Ordered the Gummi Pflege so when it shows up I will treat the rubbers.

Thanks everyone
I just take a can of spray lithium grease with a reed on it, point at each joint I can see with the top half open and give it a short shot an wipe off the excess. Do the same in the trunk with it up. Never saw it as a complicated thing.

·
Founding Member 2006
106,666 Posts

Thanks everyone

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
81 Posts
I have owned my R171 (SLK55AMG) 2007 (UK) from new

Full service history, dealer maintained, 47K miles.

This is a summer car and when it's not being driven it's garaged and hooked up to a CTEK battery charger conditioner.

Yesterday, I got the car out of the garage to take it for it's annual service and MOT.

No problems starting the engine

Vario Roof not operating.

I checked the tray inside the boot (Trunk) was fully in place and secure before retrying but still not operating.

Then, whilst trying once more, I noticed there was no 'Vario Roof In Operation' message in the instrument cluster

Note: all attempts to operate the roof using toggle switch by the gear selector (car is stock / no after-market roof module ever installed)

I checked other switches for mirrors, windows, sat-nav, door locks, all working as normal

Dealer informed and he immediately suggested may simply need re-calibrating but later reported unable to do this as there is no communication with the roof module.

I asked if it may be worth them trying the disconnect/reset battery method (discovered by reading on this forum) but they said this would be pointless as their AMG technician thinks there is an issue with the roof module.

Car remains with dealer pending further investigation.
Mine did something very similar. Acted like I wasn't pressing the switch at all. It was a limit switch in the front passenger side that tells tells the locks where to stop. Ran a code scanner and it had a communication fault. Can't remember the exact code but it was pretty specific. Pulled the headliner and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in the switch and worked it a few times. Works fine now. Hope yours is something simple.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
34 Posts
I would suggest you go ahead and replace the switch with new.
I would love to but I haven't been able to find a new replacement they are all used and most likely in a similar condition or age to the one I have. I have been looking for Part # 1718202410 J111and of course the dealer says NLA.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
34 Posts
Couldn’t find them on Pelican parts or any of the other sites I searched. Open to any suggestions or referrals,

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
1,126 Posts
I don't think that is correct - tell them to try harder?
I am with you. If I could get a front bumper insert for a 20 yr old Japanese R170 bought and shipped from Germany to my front door through my dealer I would not expect that this is NLA. How confident are we of the part number? If it is solid I will ask my part guy, A correct description of the part and the VIN would be helpful.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Did you do a battery reset by chance?
Thanks for taking an interest ... short answer, no.

On reflection I wish I had checked fuses, relays and performed battery reset before asking the MB dealer to diagnose/repair.

To reiterate, engine running, no response when operating open/close toggle switch, no vario message in instrument cluster.

Dealer says diagnostic equipment reports 'no communication'.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Brief Update
MB dealer still trying to diagnose, partial strip (6 hours), nothing to report, hoping they will find something today

Result
Blown fuse (no charge)
Despite being over the moon, I queried this as they told me all fuses and relays had been checked and were OK, prior to 'going any deeper'... 6 hrs partial strip ... maybe someone is in for a bit of a ticking off!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts