Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think you may have been barking up the wrong tree...
With all the symptoms you have I think it is a speed sensor issue. Have you had the diagnostics checked?

It could be the front left ABS sensor that has failed as this is used to calculate vehicle speed which also affects roof, transmission and speedometer.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,604 Posts
Without a doubt you need an MB specific scan of all control modules in the car. Correct all the non-roof issues first, then post back here.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Without a doubt you need an MB specific scan of all control modules in the car. Correct all the non-roof issues first, then post back here.
Hi,

Absolutely agree with @efair :tu: .......................

Just to elaborate a little further, the full scan will have to be done with SDS, s/w up to 2016 or after that date find one that does have HHT, (my own custom 64 bit Win 7 2017 s/w no longer has HHT Win Emulator), which is the only thing I know of that will access some of the modules like VR, ATA, etc on R170.

SDS will confirm the exact problem by us being able to see all codes, try and get the full print out and post it up here.

And don't let the operator tell you he can't do a print out, every SDS I've ever come across will print fine even on generic windows drivers !!

RANT

Goddamn I hate it when some SDS operator tells a customer that, you're paying for a diagnostic, and a print out is that diagnostic !!

Not a "Well I've looked at it and I think xyz is wrong, no I can't / won't / not allowed / etc etc to print it" ...............

Apologies for the rant but I get this all day long from forum members and customers alike who have shelled out good money and know no better :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts
people, I am now getting desperate, I am old school, give me a knackered pre 1980s I will fix it for you So I need my problem fix for the 230 SLK 170 1998, IN LAYMANS (easy) understandable explanations
!/ Bloody roof not retracting, switch on ignition-bleep heard, light on operating switch, push switch back, pulsating light, push switch forward hydro pump running
2/ speedo now not working
3/ Auto gearbox not changing up
we do not want this good looking car heading for the breakers
regards
Brian

@BSKPLoft100

Brian,
Do you have any warning lights on on the dash at all & which, if any?
CEL/ABS/BAS/ESP?

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
@Dave2302
HHT is running fine on xentry 2017,2018 or xentry 2019.
Last week I run a diagnostic on an clk and needed HHT on that laptop I run xentry 03.2018.
Arrrrrrrrrrr, beg your pardon, thanks for pointing that out, I'll go edit my last post.............................

My currently fried brain had forgotten, my latest (2017) is running custom on 64 bit Windows 7 with 8Gb RAM + 2.4 Ghz Intel Quad Core on a D630, so yes, IIRC HHT is fine on XP or Win 7 32 bit :wink:

Apologies for being a di........... >:D

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the comments, but as stated before, all this XYZ, 123, modules, etc, is out of my league, I will check for any warning lights as suggested, (cannot say that I have noticed any that are unusual)
regards
Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
warning lights on dash

@BSKPLoft100

Brian,
Do you have any warning lights on on the dash at all & which, if any?
CEL/ABS/BAS/ESP?

Hello,
After starting engine,
1. Brake pads warning light
2. Anti lock braking system
3. Brake fluid level to low, although the level is correct??
4. BAS. ASR, system malfunction
I have probably put this in the wrong section, so please bare with me
Regards

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,295 Posts
You need a DAS/HHT to scan your car. Yesterday i scan an slk 230 with bas/esp light on and it was the brake switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts
Hello,
After starting engine,
1. Brake pads warning light
2. Anti lock braking system
3. Brake fluid level to low, although the level is correct??
4. BAS. ASR, system malfunction
I have probably put this in the wrong section, so please bare with me
Regards
OK, believe it or not, now you're actually getting somewhere.

In layman's terms,
The R170 has built-in safety protocols that wont allow you to open the roof if you go above 7mph. MB seem to think that wind getting under the roof any faster than this will result in you giving a fair impersonation of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and disappearing off into the ether :D

So typically, but not restricted to, something as simple as a broken wire to a wheel speed sensor will report a reading of 32000+rpm at the wheel when stationary - obviously (to the car), more than 7mph, hence roof will not open.

As Mercs are notorious for throwing up several warning lights that are vaguely interconnected you really need to get this scanned.

Could be (in no particular order):
Wheel Speed Sensor or broken wire
Brake Switch
Yaw Rate Sensor
Lateral Acceleration Sensor

and I'm sure there's a few others as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi, still cannot lower my roof on the SLK 230 170, after giving it another go today, a code appeared on my speedo, code 128, does this mean anything to the members.
regards
Brian

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,604 Posts
With a wrench next to it? That is the number of days or miles you are past-due on your service.

Get your car scanned with a good MB- or SLK-specific scanner and report back here with every code posted in every module. There is no substitute for this, and it's very common for faults in the traction control and antilock brake systems to inhibit roof operation. Based on the lights you're seeing, it sounds like you have some.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.