Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, I finally had to take my 99 slk to the dealer to find the faulty roof switch, to remind the problem, I was not able to open the roof, when I pull the button, the roof releases from the windshield, windows go down, deck lid opens, and thats it, if I open the roof manually it closes fine with no problem, the dealers diagnosis shows that the switch at the passenger side top of the windshield S69/1 is the faulty switch, I thought this switch (Open limit switch) was to indicate the roof is closed and the process stops, does anyone agrees that this switch also has to do with the opening of the roof? I appreciate any info regarding this thank you all.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
381 Posts
I had this and my fault was in the boot on the drivers side where the rear lights are housed, there is a sensor that tells the system the boot is fully open and so the roof may retract, my problem turned out to be the bracket that holds the switch had bent over and so the boot couldn't hit the switch, a quick bend back into place and all was solved and working perfectly again. Worth a look.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boot

I had this and my fault was in the boot on the drivers side where the rear lights are housed, there is a sensor that tells the system the boot is fully open and so the roof may retract, my problem turned out to be the bracket that holds the switch had bent over and so the boot couldn't hit the switch, a quick bend back into place and all was solved and working perfectly again. Worth a look.
Hi Paul, thank you for your reply, please can you give me little more detail about the fix that worked for you?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,179 Posts
Good morning all, I finally had to take my 99 slk to the dealer to find the faulty roof switch, to remind the problem, I was not able to open the roof, when I pull the button, the roof releases from the windshield, windows go down, deck lid opens, and thats it, if I open the roof manually it closes fine with no problem, the dealers diagnosis shows that the switch at the passenger side top of the windshield S69/1 is the faulty switch, I thought this switch (Open limit switch) was to indicate the roof is closed and the process stops, does anyone agrees that this switch also has to do with the opening of the roof? I appreciate any info regarding this thank you all.
What did the dealer say?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,685 Posts
No, because when those switches stick they stick closed and are in a permanent state of "jumped". You need to"un-jump" them. In more technical terms, these two are normally open switches that are closed when the roof is latched to the windshield; when they stick, they stay closed even when the roof is unlatched.

You might get them to work if you give the front left and front right corner of your roof a good bump with your fist. But you'll only get one cycle. Be prepared to fix it immediately!

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
381 Posts
Hi Paul, thank you for your reply, please can you give me little more detail about the fix that worked for you?
When the boot is raised for the roof to open, follow the arm of the boot into the boot plastic sides, the arm of the boot hits onto a switch that tells the roof it is okay to open now, my switch was out of alignment due to someone/something bending the bracket it sits on, I suspect while someone was changing the bulbs or light cluster they hit the bracket and bent it over, once I had found the switch I bent the bracket back and it all worked perfectly, you will need to pull off the plastic covers in the boot, only the removable flaps, just to gain access, use a torch so you can see the switch then check its position, if it needs bending then carefully bed it back into place and it should all work. I say it is this switch as each step of opening the roof has a switch between it to tell the next step to operate, so the stages of Windows opening to boot opening are working fine so these can be ruled out. The boot open to roof opening step isn't working so it must be this switch, the boot fully open isn't telling the roof ( by the switch) that it's open and ready to recieve the roof to stow it away so the roof doesn't move.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are right , very good explanation, I will order the new switches and go from there, I dont think they are too bad since all the trunk panel are off. Thank you

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all who responded to my on going issues with the roof, I ordered the front S69?2 and S69/3 micro switches so Ill replace them and see how it works, as efair mentioned every now and then, I used to bang the edge of the roof to make the roof retract , I guess I got out all the use I can get, time for a new one, as for the S118/2, I think it is working fine . i let you know the outcome. Thank you everybody, and have a nice day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts