Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a valve cover for a 1999 SLK230. Dealer wanted like $170 for it and I'm looking to take my time and repaint a new one before i take the told one off so I don't have any down time. If anyone is parting out their wrecked or blown engine car (I SAW ONE LAST WEEK BUT THE GUY REFUSED TO SELL ME JUST THE COVER). Let me know please and your price for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Search

Partsgeeks. Autohause or even autozone can get it, just google it and look for best price. Or you mean valve cover not valve cover gasket?

eBay, look of a car that is being parted and send an email.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Agree...try googling local "auto recyclers" - used to be wreckers! Remember it's the same engine as other MB's...so you're not limited to 170's..

Does anyone know which blocks it would fit? (eg 240s, 280s?)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea no one wants to just sell the cover. They only want to part out the engine. Thanks though ill keep looking around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted the second one so I could take my time detailing and repainting the other one. So i dont have any downtime on my all since its almost my daily driver now that's its warm again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so i need a little advice, I got the 2004 one livefreeordie suggested, but its got some differences. the position sensor is on the cover and theirs no place for me to attach the oil separator. Would it be a good idea for me to attach this one(although wrong) for a couple of days while I fix my other one, or just forget it completely and talk the daily driver off the road for a few days?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a cover from the motor I just pulled.

If you still need it, The motor was a 99. Cover is OK, has the common paint blistering. Good if you are planning to strip it down and repaint anyway.
Send me an email if you want it (cheap) I don't need it.
[email protected]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bit of an old thread this one but recently of interest to me.

How to paint the grey valve cover and the red valve/plug cover trim? I presume this needs just regular high temperature paint but looking at where it is chipped it looks extraordinarily thick, as in 100 coats thick! I would imagine a simple overspray will look horrible . Anyone stripped and repainted these?

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Thanks, I saw you replaced yours. But I already have 2, what I really want to learn is how to refinish them so they look (almost) like new :)

Martin
I would get it bead blasted, then powder coated - will be a better finish than the original.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good idea. I'll try and arrange that. Getting bead blasting and powder coating translated properly into Thai might be the hard part, google helps, sometimes. Just have to be careful it doesn't get sawn in half and dipped in acid!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts