Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the valve cover gasket on SLK 320. Have all of the bolt removed, even removed the plug wires to see if that would give me enough room to wiggle the cover out. No such luck. Do not want to keep banging the cover on the engine parts, that is not a good solution.

What is this (circled in blue)? Can it be removed? If so what issues will it cause? If not, how do you get the valve cover off? Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Replacing the valve cover gasket on SLK 320. Have all of the bolt removed, even removed the plug wires to see if that would give me enough room to wiggle the cover out. No such luck. Do not want to keep banging the cover on the engine parts, that is not a good solution.

What is this (circled in blue)? Can it be removed? If so what issues will it cause? If not, how do you get the valve cover off? Thanks for the help
Can you post a general picture? And probably your VIN? I can try to look it up in the Workshop manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have found info about cylinder head cover removal and removal of cover for crankcase ventilation but I need your VIN to pull the correct one. ;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok, that seems to be the fuel distributor line. You need to disconnect the battery!!!!!! Follow the line it's attached to and there should be a plastic cap on the end (towards the front of the engine). There's a tire-like valve inside, used to release the pressure from the system! There might be a little bit of fuel so use some container. Some PDFs are compiling.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok, here's the information I was able to pull out from the Workshop manual.
If you take your pictures along the way we'll highly appreciate it!!! and then create a DIY thread?! :tu:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JaysonM- Awesome. Just what I needed. Ok, so once everything is back in place, what do I need to do to repressurize the fuel lines? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
. You don't need to do anything, the fuel pump will re-pressurise the fuel system :)
As Woolly said - no need to do anything! Just make sure everything is screwed back together and once you reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on, the fuel pump will re-pressurize the whole system =) Smart, isn't it? =)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news. You guys have been wonderful. Problem now is that I cannot get the breather cover off. While it is leaking like a sieve, it will not come loose. No wiggle, no give, no nothing. I tried dental floss. I can get it in the places where the leaks are but no go everywhere else.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Breather Cover will not budge. Help

I have removed all of the breather cover screws and the Valve Cover Bolts. My breather cover is leaking a vast amount of oil but I cannot get it to budge so that I can re-do the seal. You are not supposed to hit the cover with an object to get it free and you are not supposed to use sharp objects to pry it apart. I have used a razor blade to very carefully remove the excess seal that squeezed out from the last time it was sealed and I have tried dental floss. No luck with either. They are solid like they are still screwed together.

Anyone else have this issue? Any help on how to get this separated from valve cover?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
From what you posted (about cutting away the excess gasket) it's possible the last time the valve covers were removed they've put them back on with liquid gasket - which is like glue. Have you tried a large screw driver?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.