Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I have a leak at the back of the valve cover on the passenger side - drips onto the exhaust mfld. right above where it turns down to the cat. Is this an expensive repair to have the gaskets replaced both sides?
Rick

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,274 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
It may not be the valve cover gasket. The M272 engine uses plastic plugs to seal the cam bore on the back of the heads. These are usually what leaks and is a 5 minute DIY repair. the parts cost about $25 at the MB dealer to do all the plugs.
A little story, Mine was leaking oil onto the exhaust and I thought bad valve cover gaskets. The dealer confirmed and quoted me somewhere north of $500 to fix it. I read about these plugs on this forum, checked it myself and that's what it was. $25 later and 5 minutes the problem was solved.
It broke my trust in the local MB dealer because if not for a little due diligence and research on this forum, I would have been taken for $500 by the dealer.
Good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
It may not be the valve cover gasket. The M272 engine uses plastic plugs to seal the cam bore on the back of the heads. These are usually what leaks and is a 5 minute DIY repair. the parts cost about $25 at the MB dealer to do all the plugs.
A little story, Mine was leaking oil onto the exhaust and I thought bad valve cover gaskets. The dealer confirmed and quoted me somewhere north of $500 to fix it. I read about these plugs on this forum, checked it myself and that's what it was. $25 later and 5 minutes the problem was solved.
It broke my trust in the local MB dealer because if not for a little due diligence and research on this forum, I would have been taken for $500 by the dealer.
Good luck!
I am inclined to agree!!!
See this post
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/108186-oil-leak-cam-expansion-plug.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Valve cover leak

Really cheap if you find the right place. My indie just charged an hour and a half labour and didn't even need any new parts. This was for both sides. Problem solved :)
Did your guy just tighten the bolts or did he take the covers off and clean them up?
Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
On the M113 oil from a weeping cam cover gasket collects on the corner of the engine at the rear drivers side (LHD) and every now and then a drop will fall directly onto the exhaust.
The smoke produced is very impressive as it rises from the bonnet vent.:surprise:
I have seen this twice on my 55 in the past 12 months so am not treating it as an issue.

I doubt that there is a 'cheap' fix but would happily stand corrected.:wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck!
Mine is the SLK55 AMG - I can't find expansion plugs ??
Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hooray - I fixed the leak. It turns out that many of the valve cover bolts were loose. Some could be turned by hand using just a socket and an extension. I snugged them all up properly to 9 nm, cleaned the wet areas and the leaks are gone. There were 4 leaks in total and all at a valve cover bolt location.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it started leaking again - I took it to the MB dealer and they replaced the valve cover gaskets and resealed the breather covers. They also cleaned up the engine nicely. Two hours labour plus parts/supplies - $415.00 incl taxes. Now it is fixed !!
Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.