Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member requires assistance. I have searched the forums and did a word and phrase search but cannot find help. My dealer tells me I need to replace the valve cover gaskets on my SLK32. Naturally he would like to do it for over $400. I thought I might be able to just do it myself until I looked at all the stuff that has to come off in order to just get to the covers, including the supercharger.

Is anyone aware of a DIY thread or process to help out. Even a You tube if necessary. I prefer written instructions with photos. Does anyone here do them on their own SLK32 that can get me started and aleve my fears?

I have ordered the gaskets and they should arrive tomorrow.

Love this site!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,450 Posts
wait for daytonajae or pm him

·
Registered
65 Posts
New member requires assistance. I have searched the forums and did a word and phrase search but cannot find help. My dealer tells me I need to replace the valve cover gaskets on my SLK32. Naturally he would like to do it for over $400. I thought I might be able to just do it myself until I looked at all the stuff that has to come off in order to just get to the covers, including the supercharger.

Is anyone aware of a DIY thread or process to help out. Even a You tube if necessary. I prefer written instructions with photos. Does anyone here do them on their own SLK32 that can get me started and aleve my fears?

I have ordered the gaskets and they should arrive tomorrow.

Love this site!
It's not a hard job and you do not have to remove the SC.

You may be able to re-torque the bolts and cure the leak. These bolts have a tendency to come loose. USE A TORQUE WRENCH and tighten in a crisscross pattern.

It's also likely the smaller "breather" covers are the culprit as well. These covers use an RTV sealant and not a traditional gasket. I used Permatex Ultra Black.

To pull the covers, disconnect battery, disconnect ignition coils (input wire and plug wires), loosen bolts ans remove covers.

This is a good time to check for sludge build up in the valve train. If non synthetic oil was used or service interval was too long, you may have some cleaning to do.

Do a search for the SRT6 (Crossfire) service manual on this forum or the Crossfire forum. It is in PDF format and has all the info you should need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.